PDA

View Full Version : grape headache

Hydro662
10-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi guys,

hope everyone is doing good and enjoying the weather!! Anywho, I know its not the season anymore but im stumped with the grapes that I have planted, no clue as to why the growth isnt producing or growing the way it should, Ill be honest, i didnt plant these guys in the square foot planters, just popped in the regular soil and watched them shoot up about two to three feet and stop. Now maybe its me but what comes next, how do I get those beautiful grapes that my daughter keeps asking me for? Well if one of you has a better more informed road to guide me or point me to, I would truly appreciate it. thanks everyone and enjoy!!!! :D

gardengirl72
10-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Please submit a photo. It takes 2-3 years for grape vines to start fruiting. My grapes grow 20 feet a year and grapes are formed on year old growth. you probably have a way to go. Hope this helps.

Hydro662
10-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Hi Patty,

Thanks for answering, I'll get some pics for you and you are probably right, thing is on one of the vines which has been in the ground for some time has reached to about six feet tall, i would rather not have it any taller, but all the same I'm learning about this vine as I go. I read that I can go ahead and top the vine once it reached the wire so that it could develop two lateral shoots which will be the fruiting canes, which of course would thicken the trunk/shoot, sound about right? well I will get some pics up when I get a chance, and the other shoot has been in the ground for at least two years, but has always been slow in its growth, it hasn't even gotten to 5 feet, its next to a lime tree and Im afraid it shades it too much. I'm wondering if I can transplant it to a sunnier location, well that's more or less how it is. I really do appreciate the help and I love your site and videos!!!! C ya guys!!!

rdsaltpower
11-07-2009, 11:03 PM
I too planted two grape vines this spring. They grew about four feet but have not reached my wire yet. The leaves are dying off now and
I hope to see them sprout and grow enough next spring to attach to my trellis.