PDA

View Full Version : Pests in the garden

Cynthia
09-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi everyone,
I traveled to Florida last week, and when I arrived home, I added 5000 (!) earthworms to my gardens. It was fantastic to see them settle in.

Unfortunately, I wasn't the only one who admired them, some armadillos decided that instead of an organic garden, what I really had was an organic earthworm restaurant.

So they dug up all the young lettuces in search of earthworms. They found all the spots I had added earthworms, and I am afraid, they ate most of my new worms.

I finally figured out how to stop the invasion - at least I hope I have stopped it. I added a row of heavy rocks along the bottom of my garden fence so they won't be able to dig under. I think I'll probably add a layer of pea gravel too, but that'll have to wait. They did not get in the gardens last night. Figers are crossed that this is sufficient to stop them.

So I have been missing all the cool discussions here, but I have been busy fighting the good fight.

Cynthia

gardengirl72
09-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Armadillos! Wow. I thought they ate ants! But I guess that's an ant eater. Don't worry a few worms in a food rich environment will breed very quickly, so if two or three made it, you will be fine in the long run. I guess you have to look at armadillo's like they are racoons, so chicken wire seems to be the best bet. Let me know about this one! LOL!

Cynthia
09-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Patti,
Here is a photo of what I did - I put a row of rocks around the bottom of the garden fence. It held the armadillos at bay for 2 nights, though I can see evidence that they tried to dig some more.

I am thinking of adding a layer of pea gravel under the rocks, but it'll have to wait till later in the year. I'm also going to add hardware cloth to the garden to keep out possums, porcupines, bunnies, etc.

This certainly is an adventure.

Sinfonian
09-30-2008, 04:26 AM
Wow, armadillos and earthworms, two things I don't have in my garden. I tried adding worms from the bait shop but they all died. Poor worms.

My pests are spinach leaf miners, can't get rid of them. Some cabbage moth like thing, slugs (PNW pets) and raccoons! Oh and I keep killing wasp nests that drive the bees away. Grrr.

gardengirl72
09-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Cynthia, that is a great, secure garden. Nice. I find, chicken wire under gravel and rocks is best.

Backyard Permaculture
09-30-2008, 04:51 PM
How's this for a pest in the garden.

I found my watermelons all eaten and cornstalks trampled this Morning, by Javelinas.

If you don't know what Javelinas are, they are a pig like animal, one of the big game species in Arizona.

Here is wikipedia's description http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javelina

Gotta figure out how to protect my garden from them.

Ron

Cynthia
10-01-2008, 12:23 PM
there are javalinas in s. texas. I can imagine they'd do a lot of damage. I don't know what kind of fencing you are using, but I am sure there are metal fencing materials that could keep them out.

gardengirl72
10-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Never heard of a Javelina either! Sound like good eating though if you can harvest on!

Cynthia
10-05-2008, 06:59 PM
I haven't had javelina but I hear it can be good if you get a young one.

In my armadillo investigating, I learned that people in S. America eat armadillos too -

Very interesting

AbbeyLehman
10-11-2008, 04:02 AM
Never heard of a Javelina either! Sound like good eating though if you can harvest on!

Patti, are you sure you're not a Frugal Squirrel???? :D