PDA

View Full Version : portable coop and best egg layer??

btompkins
10-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Fred,

We are thinking of having a couple of hens in Mexico for eggs. We can have fresh eggs and then share the extras with the people in the colonia. The problem we have are hungry dogs, cats, and possums.

We saw a portable coop at Gardeneggs.com and thought this might be a solution. I understand that we would need to feed the hens as they couldn't scratch much due to the cage underneath them. They would be sorta like freerange, but not able to run around much. This would save them from being dinner (not ours!). Are these coops worthwhile or are there other choices?

Also, Bob likes white leghorns for laying eggs. Is this the best kind or are there others out there now that are better?

Thank you for the advice!

In His service,
Bonnie

Serve & Build Hope Ministry
http://sbhministry.faithsite.com

Fred's Fine Fowl
10-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Hi Bonnie!

You know that I always wanted to start a poultry set up down there in the colonia... Stephen S. said he'd come in from Africa to help me out if I ever did it... I ran into Ray and Elizabeth at the poultry barn during the Erie County Fair.. was fun to see them!

Now.. on to your bird questions... for an operation like your and in that super heated and vegetation sparse environment, there is really only one breed for your purposes... the Pearl White Leghorn.

I recommend this breed to you for several reasons...
They have white feathers that are light in density, so they reflect sun and have a good heat tolerance.

Another thing about them is they eat relatively little in comparison to other breeds, while producing eggs like clock work. **My choice in the North would be the Rhode Island Red.

Given the soil conditions down there and the lack of rain fall... a portable coop really isn't your answer in my opinion. Unless you are planning on setting up a Patti M. style of raised garden beds with the birds parked over the raised plots either cleaning up after a harvest, or preparing a new bed.

I think it would be best for Bob to build a run and coop so the birds can be protected... the coop could open on two or more sides, allowing the birds to go to a new run from time to time... closing off a run to allow it to recover while the birds use the other space.

Now... I have to give you the news as to why we never went ahead with a colonia poultry set up... it all comes down to cost. Nutritionally, nothing would be better than fresh eggs! But without meaningful range available, feed costs are going be more than is practical economically speaking. It would be cheaper to outright purchase eggs from the store... I stress this point, as what we are really talking about is birds that will be feed raised/maintained and this is not much different than the nutrition of battery poultry. Sure, the birds themselves are going to be healthier and happier, but probably not much of a nutritional boost without lots of green for them to forage through...

If you decide to go ahead with chickens down there... let me know, I'll help you equip the setup ("> .... feeders and drinkers.. yadda yadda....

I'll also help you figure out how to get your birds from good stock. I think they should allow chicks over the border, assuming they come from NPIP originating flocks with the appropriate paper work.

Have more questions? I'll be happy to provide the information you need... I wish you the very best!

As always,
Fred
www.FredsFineFowl.com
You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HTCSWEOD