PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Jacksonville, Fl

rollyespolione
10-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Hi,

I live in Jax, Fl and am excited about finding Patti and this forum. I'm in the process of cleaning up our backyard where we will get some sun for growing. The landlord has pretty much given us free range to do as we please.
I am interested in gardening with a twist incorporating aquapontics. Also have been reviewing city ordinances about chickens that part does not look hopeful we may have to go rogue on that part...LOL.:) Am interested in hearing from anyone in my neck of the woods.
I have kicking around an idea in my head for setting up a non profit combining to areas dear to my heart a animal rescue and community garden. Bringing in the elderly and special needs kids, troubled kids any thoughts you might have would be appreciated. As I said this still is in my head and wonder how viable an idea it would be.
Look forward to hearing your ideas.
Thanks,

Barb

macnugget
10-21-2009, 04:42 AM
Check out BackyardChickens.com for info about chickens and if you get a few chicks make sure they are hen/pullets and you won't have any problems with noise.

Nick

gardengirl72
10-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Welcome to the boards Barb. A great resource for chickens is Fred's site and dvd at http://fredsfinefowl.com/ Check out my Magazine page for some great articles from him as well.

Fred's Fine Fowl
10-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Thank you for that very nice endorsement Patti :)

Always love to help inform poultry folks... welcome to the Garden Girl Message Boards!

As always,
Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

You may watch lots of chicken related videos FREE right here on my You Tube site: http://www.youtube.com/user/HTCSWEOD

Also, the DVD Regarding Chickens is available in many library systems across the country and even in Puerto Rico... so if you don't want to own a copy, check with your librarian.. chances are they have it! :}

James
10-29-2009, 12:56 AM
Jacksonville fla. Paper plants galore.I would look into cortunix quail. they start laying at 7-9 weeks of age lay pretty well. and very little noise. You can start with 3 trios and A small incubator ,And in 2 months have 50 plus birds , plus fresh eggs,..