PDA

View Full Version : Wittamer's Belgian Hot Chocolate

Garden Green
10-19-2009, 02:09 PM
This is probably the best hot chocolate ever. Real hot chocolate! And oh it is soo yummy. It's that time of year and already we're feeling the cold snap across the country. This is just the thing to really get you warmed up.

Wittamer's Belgian Hot Chocolate
Four to six servings

Adapted from The Great Book of Chocolate (Ten Speed)

"Although Michael told me this recipe serves four, I think the Belgians must have a high-tolerance for the amount of hot chocolate they can drink, and you might find it serves a few more than indicated. Leftover mix can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days, and re-warmed in a saucepan or microwave oven.

In Paris, most places use low-fat milk for their chocolat chaud, so you could likely use it here. I use whole milk. Or for more adult tastes, one could replace some of the liquid with strong coffee or add a hit of liqueur at the end, such as cognac or Chartreuse."

1 quart (1l) half-and-half or whole milk
8 ounces (230g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
4 ounces (115g) milk chocolate, finely chopped
tiny pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Warm about one-third of the half-and-half or milk, with the chopped chocolates and salt, stirring until the chocolate is melted.

2. Whisk in the remaining half-and-half or milk, heating until the mixture is warmed through. Add the cinnamon.

3. Use a hand-held blender, or a whisk, and mix the hot chocolate until it's completely smooth. Serve very warm.

At Wittamer, it's served with a poof of whipped cream and chocolate curls.

SilverBells
10-22-2009, 04:15 PM
yummm nothing like a good cup of hot chocolate in the winter!

thanks for sharing :)

Garden Green
11-11-2009, 08:04 PM
I made this last weekend and it did *not* last. I thought that a quart of half and half would be too much but it was completely annihilated.