PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin

Garden Green
11-11-2009, 08:12 PM
This isn't really a recipe, more like just a different point of doing things.

When I make pumpkin pie, it is from fresh pumpkin. We buy pumpkin and start processing as soon as we see them out. We clean out the pumpkin, cut into strips and boil it. I used to bake it but found that boiling was better from a texture stand point. But I treat it just like potatoes when cooking them. I cut smaller squares (about the size of a medium potato) and boil until fork tender.

I allow this to cool until I can handle it. I don't want it to get cold because it is so much harder to get the rind off. If it is still warm, the rind peels right off. Once that is done, I will vacuum seal it in 2 cup quantities after I've pureed it so I can just make a pie from one package. Depending on the size of the pumpkin will depend on how many pies I can get out of it. We start having pumpkin pie as soon as we see pumpkins then stop when we run out.

I do occasionally do other things like pumpkin soup and pumpkin bread, but the pies are the gem of the autumn and into the new year for us and this is what I have found to be the easiest method of prepping so all I have to do is thaw and whip together a pie. Fresh pumpkin makes all the difference when you're making pumpkin pie!

MoniDew
04-15-2010, 06:57 PM
wow! thank you for inspiring us all, once again!