PDA

View Full Version : Free source for so much!

Mushroom Man
11-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if this is old news or not but I found a terrific source that's been taking care of all my gardening material needs... and it's free!

Kijiji.ca or Kijiji.com

I have a few quick examples:

In my area there was a government program several years ago that allowed people to purchase SoilMaker Composter units for approximately $25. The government would take care of the balance. But that program is over now and lot of people still have them but are not utilizing. When I attempted to purchase one of these in the store the price was over $100 each...OUCH! So I went to Kijiji.ca and posted that I was willing to pay $25 for one that was not being used. Well, I am picking up my fourth one today!

Next example: I'm creating a guerrilla graywater system which will start with just my clothes washing machine in the spring. So I have to gather together, what I would like anyway, 3 pond liners. Well, I just picked up a 3 x 2 x 2' liner (pre-formed) for $35!

Now here is the big one that most of you would probably want to do. Free compost material!

Next...
I was in need for brown material and grass cuttings for my new compost bins. I posted that I would pick up grass clippings (local only) and leaves, as long as it was bagged, for free. Within an hour I could have had approximately a truckload or more!

But here is the best one...

Just last night I posted an ad stating: Free Horse and/or chicken bedding removal! Up to 55 gallon container worth of removal. I just received an e-mail this morning that a person will be cleaning out their chicken coops this Saturday and will have enough to fill up two pickup trucks worth of material!

This is what I figure. Keep these people in my Rolodex and use their free resources indefinitely. I will always have a source for yard waste as well as free compost material/fertilizer (chicken poo) for what will be a massive growing project this spring!

Next but not least....Rain barrels.

I purchased 9 - 55 gallon barrels for a water catch system.
It cost me $10 for delivery.

My total cost? $100. That is a 500 gallon storage system for $90 plus delivery!

I hope this helps you guys. I have a lot info coming shortly (transforming my new house and yard into a more sustainable living arrangement with nature and renewable resources) with a few solar projects, gardening, mushroom growing and putting in a miniature Permaculture food forest!

PS in case you didn't know we just purchased a house with a beautiful backyard. I'm including a picture of it below.

http://mushroompatch.com/images/backyard/inthebeginning.jpg