PDA

View Full Version : Yikes Tomatoes Tomatoes Everywhere

daddylonglegs
11-22-2009, 07:46 AM
I visited Baker Creek to select some Tomato seeds. Now that I have 20 some-odd varieties in my shopping cart I learn...

Varieties need to have some space between them...otherwise cross polination will occur and I'll end up with a mish mash of varities.

Taken from their site:
Most tomatoes (so-called "regular leaf" types) are self pollinating, and it is very difficult for the flower to be pollinated by any other flower. These types need only be separated by 10-15 feet to breed true in most conditions. The major exception is the "potato leaf" varieties such as the Brandywines. Due to differences in flower structure, these are more prone to crossing by insects; isolation of 50 to 500 feet is recommended.
(500 feet and I'll have to pay my neighbor rent for use of their yard):eek:

My whole garden is 10x15. Last year I used SmartPots and did not find much success. (but then there was the rain...rain...rain) I could separate varieties easily with pots, but they were too much work for too little yeild.

I love to make tomato sauce and want mostly tomatoes for that purpose. I do enjoy a good salad tomato too.
I am taken by the exotic types like the purples, brandywines, black varieties and also the romantic names of some of the red Italian ones.
I don't like sour acid sauce, but don't like it too sweet either. I don't like to add sugar, but find myself sometimes having to either add a carrot to my sauce or a little sweet wine, or sugar. My guess is that a good tomato is the solution to my sour/sweet balance.

Can someone help to clarify my thinking on which seeds to buy? How many varieties it makes sense to buy? Am I correct that if I plant 6 varieties in one small garden patch am I asking for trouble?

My shopping cart overflowith.

DLL

nandmsmom
11-22-2009, 08:33 AM
With a small space, you want to do just 2 or 3 types. I like Amish Paste for all my sauces and canning, but it isn't the best slicer. So I usually do 1 or 2 interesting types to see what I like. You will get lots of seeds in each packet, so they will last you a few years as well. When you discover the varieties you like, you can isolate them and save their seeds.

gardengirl72
11-30-2009, 12:28 PM
If you want to be a tomato purest then all of that is true. You might be pleasently surprised with the cross pollination. In small spaces it is impossible to plant them far enough apart. On farms that plant tomatoes in rows different varieties are planted in rows that areen't the recommended distance. I wouldn't worry about it unless you wanted to save the seeds and sell them. Also, this season was a terrible tomato plant year, but some more disease resistant ones fruited. My yellow pears were a bust.

Cynthia
12-13-2009, 10:56 AM
you can also bag your blooms - lots of work but you won't get cross pollination.