PDA

View Full Version : Henpecked!

Kanthaka
12-07-2009, 02:14 PM
My barred Plymouth rock has suddenly, just starting today, begun to pick on my Delaware hen. She drives my Delaware from herself and my one other chicken and mercilessly beats on her. Since this is a completely new development I don't know what to think. They have free ranged harmoniously until just this morning. In fact, I thought my Delaware was the alpha hen.
The only two circumstances that have changed are that my barred rock only just started laying (in December!) and I started giving them scratch last night. Could the extra carbs in the scratch be making my barred rock so nasty? I thought scratch was a good before roosting/bedtime treat that helped them keep warm through the night. I am not sure what to do about this. Right now my barred rock is in unhappily in time out in her coop so the Delaware can free range in peace. Can't we all get along?
Karen from the Erie, PA Poultry Underground

gardengirl72
12-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Seems to me it's because she started laying. I think it should work itself out. Hopefully, Fred will chime in on this topic as well.

Kanthaka
12-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Actually the problem pretty much resolved itself when my Rhode Island red died suddenly yesterday. Now that there is just the two of them it seems they have decided to get along. I also believe the scratch may have made them aggressive and now only give it to them right before bedtime.
The problem now is that I have no idea why my red hen died. I'm second guessing myself. She was fine in the morning and dead by lunchtime. No illness and no injuries. I'm heartbroken!

Kanthaka
12-12-2009, 04:53 PM
And now my barred rock is back to bullying my Delaware. I thought they would settle down now that there is only the two of them! Chickens should not be this stressful, right?
Karen from the Erie, PA Poultry Underground

Fred's Fine Fowl
12-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Oh man, I'm so sorry I'm late on this issue...

Karen.. my dear friend.. I'm sorry you have lost a pet!

Nope, it's not the diet, so don't go blaming yourself there... scratch is low on nutrition as compared to complete rations. It does not change their temperament to the point of showing aggression.

Some ways to cope..

When chickens which are faced with cold weather, fine themselves in sudden close quarters without the relief of going out and running about, they can and often do become stressed!

So, what to do?

double drinkers.. two locations minimum....

several food locations... two minimum so one can't guard the feed or water.

reduce light.. low or no artificial lighting...

4 sq ft of floor space per bird....

perches on equal levels... no high perches for them to compete for....

and this is a good start to resolving issues....

please let me know how things are progressing....

as always,

Fred
www.FredsFinefowl.com