PDA

View Full Version : Delicious Chicken Noodle Soup...

suziq1972
12-08-2009, 11:41 AM
I have this recipe last spring and it is soooo yummy! I have made it several times this fall for my sick kids. :)

1 chicken, cut up
2 1/2 qts of water
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp thyme
3 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
2 tsp chicken boulillon
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1/2 onion, diced

Throw all of this in the pot and bring to boil. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Remove chicken, cool, debone and cut into chunks.
Skim fat from broth. You can either leave veggies in the broth or strain them. Bring back to boil and add noodles. I found the perfect noodles on the chinese food aisle, but you can use whatever kind you like. Add chicken and adjust seasonings to taste. (Remove bay leaf)
Delicious and good for you! :p

gardengirl72
12-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks for this recipe. We're all a little sickly over here so I'm going to try it.

Cynthia
12-13-2009, 10:57 AM
then save the chicken carcass in the freezer to make your own chicken stock an you can do away with bouillon or packaged stock.

suziq1972
12-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Good idea, Cynthia! I have been buying the best chicken I can in my small town. It's hard to get organic food here, but it seems companies are getting better at offering choices. I think the brand I bought was smart chicken?

I made this with just chicken breasts one time when I was in a hurry. Big, HUGE, mistake. You need the entire bird, bones and all, to make the broth flavorful. I am going to try putting it in the crock pot one morning and let it cook all day. Yummm!

macnugget
12-16-2009, 12:51 AM
pressure cooker works best and it doesn't take that much time. I stick the whole bird in and add water and let her simmer for 40mins strain out the bones and you have perfect broth

KalenaPlants
12-18-2009, 03:39 AM
I like to put brown rice in my soup instead of noodles. Your recipe sounds so great right now. I need to make some tomorrow.

redhead5318
12-18-2009, 01:58 PM
then save the chicken carcass in the freezer to make your own chicken stock an you can do away with bouillon or packaged stock.

that's what I do! and it's really funny when hubby is digging in the freezer for snacks, and gets this look on his face like he's seen a ghost. . . and asks me "why are there chicken & turkey skeletons in the freezer??"

MoniDew
12-20-2009, 09:47 PM
laughing because my hubby does the same thing! LOL!