PDA

View Full Version : Spring Fever Already?

Warlord
12-19-2009, 05:22 PM
It's not even Winter yet and I am going over next years garden plan.:D Iv'e heard somewhere that its never too early to start gardening. Anyway, I have been going thru the 2010 calendar to decide on approx. spring & summer planting dates. Then I back track 10 to 12 wks prior to see when I should be starting my seeds. I use 10 -12 wks because of the 1 wk germination time plus the extra week or two alows them to get bigger and some of them to be hardened off before they go outside.
Another reason I have started planning so early is that I want to expand the number and variatey of plants I want to start as well as expand the size of our garden. I already have saved some seeds from last years crop but I will have to order veggie and herb seeds that I don't have. I have to alter my grow light scheme a bit. last season I used grow light tubes that are T-8s. and only 2 ft in length. I will post my new and improved growlight system in the future.
I also plan on improving the hoop house and having more of them for a good size spring crop. I painfully remember our tomato blight disaster earlier this year:mad: and I plan on devising something to hopfully remedy that from happening this year.
Oh, before I forget there is my rain barrel system I never installed rain gutters for last year. I also plan to modify the system as needed. (No kim no catfish in the barrels this year);) So you can all see I will have enough to keep me busy for a while. warren.

rdsaltpower
12-26-2009, 11:24 PM
In one word...yes! after 12 inches on snow last weekend and statewide power outtages that lasted until today in some places , I can't wait for spring. :o

Cynthia
01-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Its time to think about spring here. I am actually late starting my tomato seeds, but hopefully that will happen today. Keeping a journal is so helpful, it can help you remember varieties, bugs, weather, harvest, etc.

Good luck.

GoldenAcres
01-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Here in the central part of New Mexico we are just now getting the first hard freezing weather. It has been icky for about four days and I am so ready for spring, so much to do this year I am so excited.

dairymon
01-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Its time......todays temp. is high 18 & low -2, cold all week with teens for high below 0 for lows. Catalogs have all been read, germination stand is cleaned and ready, plans have all been made. So now what do I do for the next month or two....:confused:

MoniDew
01-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Cynthia, you raise a good point: How much lead time does one need to start seed? Assuming planting date here is April 15th (or thereabouts), do I start 8 weeks in advance? 6?

dairymon
01-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Monica, I believe there are a number of factors that determine seed start dates. The # 1 factor is the variety your starting, i.e varities like cabbage, broccoli & cauliflower need about 10 to 12 weeks, while Peppers or tomatoes are 8 weeks. Other factors are local and micro climates, here in northeast wisconsin we have a slow start in the spring (due to Lake Michigan) so I time accordingly...move starts back a week or two. One other factor off the top of my head is cultural, are coldframes, hot caps, tunnel hutches used to maintain warmth. Hope I'm not to far off, but that is was my journals from over 30 years are telling me. Anyone have other ideas I am happy to keep learning, even at my age. LOL

Seasons Eatings
01-27-2010, 06:27 PM
I plan on having six week old tomato, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage and seven to eight week old pepper seedlings. The cold weather crops (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, many greens) can go in before the warm weather transplants like peppers and tomatoes.

Peppers take a long time to germinate. If you can keep them warm they'll sprout faster. I plan on 10-14 days for germination.

Tomatoes take 5-7 days depending on warmth. Cold weather plants don't have to be kept warm. They'll easily germinate at room temperature in a week. A little warmth will speed them up.

Count back from the date you want to plant and add enough time for germination. Keep potting up to avoid compacted roots. Older transplants don't transplant as easily as young.

Good luck!

_kitty_d
01-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Still been freezing at night.

I'm in the SoCal desert, but the days have been fairly nice.

Started digging my potato trenches for my Irish potatoes.

Its my first time composting this year :)

I'm not sure if I did it right, there seemed to be white mold
growing in my compost. I can't see anymore since I've let
the pile kinda dry out....

can anyone offer any tips?

btw, I'm new to the forum. Hello everyone. :D