PDA

View Full Version : Edible Landscape

Ginger
01-03-2010, 10:11 PM
I spent the fall doing something I've wanted to do for five years. I took out three really overgrown evergreens in my front yard and put in Espalier Apples, blueberries, currents, a bush peach, garlic, and strawberries. The neighbors were very upset. One lady told me that the trees had been there since she moved in 35 years earlier. These people just don't like change. Everyone around in town knows our house as the ___house, the name of the previous owner. Now I just need to talk my husband into letting my put raised beds in the front yard, since it's the only sunny place. Our garden is currently out back but that area would do better as a goat/chicken yard with all the shade it gets. We have 3 bee hives, and I plan to get chickens again this spring. (and two milk goats, if I can talk hubby into a raised bed system in the front like I already said.) Wish me luck.

Blossome
02-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Wow! that is so great! lucky you, I've been wanting to do this for a few years now but I have no idea where to begin, Do you mind posting pictures?, I live in Maryland 7A area and I have berry bushes and American walnut trees that were already in the back yard. I would like to add more but my home is not that big and I really like to keep it open.

MoniDew
02-28-2010, 05:43 PM
what a shame that your neighbors aren't being more supportive. change is difficult for some, we understand that. but it's my sincere hope that, as they see the wonderful improvements you are bringing into the neighborhood, what a wonderful contribution that is, they will be inspired by your actions and go for the change themselves, in a big way!!!

best of luck, much success to you and your urban homestead.

RedStateGreen
01-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Wow! How exciting!

I can't wait to see pictures!

I've never done espaliering ... was it difficult?

I'm doing an edible landscape for my front yard also ... I've only done a tiny bit compared to you, though ... some herbs and a few trees. The big part will be redoing our front walkways. Right now there's no way to get from the mailbox to the house without either walking allll the way around the yard or walking over (sometimes soggy) grass. So I want to put in a bridge over the soggy part and a walkway to the house, and line that with edibles. :D