PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Western Canada!

Spanishearl
01-06-2010, 01:09 AM
I can't use "Greetings from Canada" as a subject, that's been used! So, Hello!

I am from Calgary, Alberta (USDA:3d), and I stumbled across this site while looking up information on Chickens in an urban enviroment. We currently are not permitted to have them, and there is a woman going to court in April to fight for the right to have them.

I already had built raised beds at my old place which I left for the next tenant, but now that I have a home and a yard of my own, I'm very excited to try out some of the ideas here! Especially the pumpkins, and watermellon up the chainlink fence I saw in Patti's videos!

I have to say that I have poured over everything here, and I love the information that's here. Once the snow in not so deep in the backyard, I'll be making my measurements to see what I can house back there in my yard that never gets used (previous owner didn't like grass, so cemented the whole thing... *shakes head*).

These were my previous beds, made out of cedar 4x4's for corners, and 2x4's (Lowes tutorial) They are 6x3

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Spanishearl/Gardening/IMG_5228.jpg

They stayed at the rental property as I didn't feel like moving them. They cost me about $30 each in material.

I'm very, very excited to start new work this spring!

Kittikity
01-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Well, look at it this way.. With a cemented yard, you won't have much of a problem with weeds.. = )

The raised beds you can probably put right on top of the cement if you want.. Fill them with some nice rich soil and off you go..

MoniDew
01-09-2010, 10:13 AM
I think Patti's are located on an old asphalt parking lot. Your in good company!

Eggzactly
01-09-2010, 05:12 PM
nice work!!:D

Spanishearl
01-09-2010, 09:17 PM
The backyard is a half and half mix of cement and stone, so the raised beds will do fine for sure! I do have this basketball post in the middle of the yard, and that is getting pulled down.

I've basically worked out in my head what I want to do where already, and am just waiting till the snow melts more to get back there and make some measurements!

gardengirl72
01-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Please show us more images of your progress when you start your new garden.

Spanishearl
01-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I most certainly will!