PDA

View Full Version : Do the hens need to roost? where do they in the tractor?

marlaynaisbell
01-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Greetings Garden Girl-

I want to ask a question about the chicken tractor that you sit in top of your 4x8 raised garden beds. I am wondereing where the girls roost? I am new to this, and from what I have read & seen in other coop/tractor designs there is a pole where the chickens rest at night. Do you have a seperate coop that you put them in at night to roost, or do they just stay in the tractor on top of the bed all the time & sleep on the "ground"/ garden bed floor?

Thank you so much in advance for an answer to my question-

Sincerely,
Marlayna Isbell

Fred's Fine Fowl
01-23-2010, 12:38 PM
I can't speak for other designs and end purposes with every chicken tractor system.

I've visited many different chicken coops, houses and barns... viewing nearly every imaginable setup.

I've seen birds litter raised... with no roost at all and they simply sit on the substrate they are provided with. Show chickens... a really confined existence for sure, never roost and are often caged throughout their lives... they appear healthy and seem content. (not how my own birds are handled)

My portable chicken system has roosts out in the open area, as well as inside the roost closure which provides shelter and safety throughout the night and against heavy weather. My coops and other buildings also have roosting areas and perches of varying diameters...

Everyone will probably have an opinion about this and some may be offended at the very idea that hey do not have their birds best interest at the fore...

Sooo, let's do an experiment... provide a system which has both deep litter and roosts and see where the chickens go on their own? You'll see the roosting bars filled and only the heaviest birds which are unable to fly up to the perches... remaining on the ground.

Now, can I provide a health related reason for why perches are better? Not a pat one, but birds off the ground do not so quickly soil themselves and are less prone to respiratory distress. They do need shelter from wind and rain in order to demonstrate the best health and conditioning.

When perches are provided, in or outside of a roosting box... have the tops rounded and consider providing varying diameters so they can exercise their feet a little better. I find that maple branches that fall during storms normal breakage are fantastic perches for your chickens! Thick at the base and thinner out towards the ends... chickens find their own comfort zone.

Just some food for thought...

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/HTCSWEOD

gardengirl72
01-24-2010, 08:42 AM
As always great advice Fred. I provide two roosts at different levels inside my tractor. Chickens have a pecking order after all. In my larger coop its funny to see who is higher than the others.

marlaynaisbell
01-30-2010, 03:28 PM
dear fred & patti-

thank you for your wonderful comments, however....i think most of the info in your answers is over my head. what i really need to know is:

1) is a roost necessary in the chicken tractor that patti feautures & builds on this site?

2) if so, where do the roosts go? patti mentioned putting 2 at different levels, and i am wondering if these 2 roosts she refers to are located in the chicken tractor that she features & builds on this site.....if i am understanding correctly, patti's tractor is 24 inches high. i am wondering where the 2 roosts are placed in a tractor that is 24 inches high?

3) is the chicken tractor that patti features & builds on this site the ONLY "home" for her 8 bantam chickens? that is to say, is the tractor that she features & builds on this site, that is 8ft X 4ft By 24 inches high the ONLY fulltime home for up to 8 bantam hens? specifically, is the tractor that patti features & builds on this site sufficent to protect the 8 bantam hens from elements & predators at night?

4) if the chicken tractor that patti features & builds on this site is in fact only "day housing" for the 8 bantam hens, then what type of structure (coop, home, building) do the 8 bantam hens sleep & roost in at night? and if such a structure exists, is there a video or other written plans that describe how to build this type of structure?

thank you in advance for your answers. like i mentioned in my original post, i am but a newbie to all of this, and as a result, obviously did not articulate my questions very well in my original post-

thanks again!!

: )
MI

Fred's Fine Fowl
01-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi Marlayna,

I apologize for my answer not addressing your specific question... I tried to give an answer regarding roosting in general so it may apply to broader situations and more generally address the roosting issue...

I will have to allow Patti to address her specific design and details about her roost positioning.

Thank you for your patience with us... (">

As always,
Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

marlaynaisbell
02-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Dear Fred & Patti-

I am so sorry for being so literal, but being a "green bean", I have zero assumed knowledge in gardening & chicken keeping....although I am very eager to learn & was thrilled to find this site.

Patti- I know you are extremely busy, but if you have a quick second to let me know where to place the roosts & if I need an additional "coop" for protection form the elements & predators at night; I would be eternally greatful!! I was hoping to build the tractor and raised beds this weekend, and want to make sure I've got all the info I need before I begin the project-

Also, was wondering if you have any knowledge regarding "special" & or heirloom varietites of veggies and thier relative success rate for growth. I ask this because I want to order some of the purple varieties of asparagus, brussel sprouts, peppers & beans for example, and was wondering if you knew whether they would grow as well as some of the more common varities assuming the growing conditions were the same ( i.e. soil health, water, sun etc)

Thank You so much for all your help-

Sincerely,
Marlayna Isbell

Aspen
02-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Our first chickens never really took to the roost. They all just huddled together at night in a corner. Some of them do roost now. Our second batch of chickens roosted right from the start. Maybe the older girls saw this and thought it was a great idea! So now I have some that roost and some that don't and everybody seems happy.