PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Green Bay, Wisconsin

dairymon
01-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Just found the website while doing some research on sustainable living. I first would like to say that my wife and I are former dairy farmers who sold our 100 cow dairy in 2004. We kept 20 acres and built our log home in a corner of a 5 acre field on that 20 acres. With the current economy and finding out that we miss are animals, we have decided to get back into the farm lifestyle. At present we have a large garden, orchard and fruit bushes. We have been reforesting the open field area but have since changed my mind to recreate some pasture areas. Mind you this area planted to orchard, garden, etc. was open cropland 5 years ago. Our garden, flowerbeds & orchard are becoming established but I still feel somewhat empty. Over the new year the wife and I were discussing the next season and we have now decided to again have some livestock. Our plans call for a spring delivery of 25 barred rocks straight run, that should give us about 10 to 12 hens and we butcher the males when they make weight. We also plan to get 25 broilers to raise for fall butchering to carry over the winter. Along with the chickens we will be getting 2 feeder pigs in the spring 1 for our freezer the other to sell. The second pig is to only keep pig # 1 company. And finally to round out our first year back with livestock we are planning on New Zealand rabbits, 2 does and 1 buck. We have a 16 month old granddaughter that I can not wait to introduce to the farm life. It may seem like a lot but this is relaxing to us & we have missed are animal friends.

So enough for now, I hope to chat with you down the line.

Thanks
dairymon (aka Bill)
Windswept Acres Farm

MoniDew
01-26-2010, 06:32 PM
you sound like truly amazing people! and you inspire me to be a better person!

dairymon
01-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the kind words Monica. Just trying to get by thats all.

gardengirl72
01-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Thats wonderful. Your chicken plan is great. Raising your own chicken for meat makes it so delicious. I hope to raise a pig one day and a mini cow for meat. Please share your fruit tree experiences with us. and pot some pics if you get a chance. Welcome!