PDA

View Full Version : Rabbits eating everything

SaraM2261
02-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi everyone,
Last year I had a little strawberry patch planted. I had it gated off with rabbit fencing and netted from the birds. Well, something got into my garden in the early fall and ate every plant and every strawberry in site!!! I tried to see where they came in but couldn't keep whatever it was out! They actually stuck around long enough (the next day I am assuming) to...ehhem...replant some strawberry plants!!

I need some pest control help! :) What does eveyone use for rabbits etc... to keep their gardens for themselves. I have noticed in all of Patty's videos that she doesn't seem to use anything at all!!?

Thanks in advance for your helpful replies
Sara in MN

dairymon
02-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Hi Sara, welcome.......sorry to hear about the rabbit problems. I address the bunny situation in three ways. 1) use hot sprays 2) wire fencing on important plants I don't want trimmed 3) plant enough to share...if all else fails rabbit stew will be my next meal. In short wire and sprays will work to a degree, I just learned to share.

Warlord
02-11-2010, 08:46 PM
I didn't have any of the local rabbits set foot in my garden last year. I believe it was due to the onions and garlic I had planted near the lettuce,broccoli and cauliflower. I hear rabbits don't care for the smell of onions. Iv'e never heard of rabbits eating strawberry plants but, I wouldn't doubt it if a deer or two had perpitrated such a vile act of strawberricide.:eek: Deer will eat almost any growing thing.

Karen
03-07-2010, 10:01 AM
I would guess the reason Patti doesn't have rabbit problems is a) her beds are at least 20 inches high (can't remember what size boards she uses but they are all doubles) and b) she has gravel and/or pavers all around her beds. I don't think rabbits like to cross a lot of hard surface like that in search of food, compared to running across the grass.

Another critter that might be at work would a groundhog - we have one nearby and it will eat nearly anything. chicken wire actually works best for them b/c they can climb any fence but the chicken wire bends and isn't sturdy enough for them.
When you said they "replanted some strawberries" did you mean you found some of the droppings? that would tell you if it were rabbits for sure. I've seen rabbits nibble on my strawberry plants but I'd be very surprised to find them demolish an entire bed in one night.

gardengirl72
03-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Rabbits can do damage overnight and can jump up more than 20 feet. My beds have a wire lining to prevent things from burrowing. Please let us know if you find a solution to your rascally rabbits.

daddylonglegs
03-12-2010, 06:59 AM
I was wondering if a xtra large-sized dog crate woud work if built my bed inside of it for strawberries. Any thoughts on this? -DLL

vermmy35
06-19-2010, 11:54 AM
once the rabbit has found a food source, the only way to really solve this problem is to make sure it ends up on the dinner table. Not trying to be smart... it did end up on the dinner table.

Garden Green
06-20-2010, 01:23 PM
I have a dog who frequents my garden area. He gets brushed around the edible plants and I make sure that he "scents" around the garden. My dog socializes with friend's dogs, they bring their dogs over, and now I have several dog scents in my yard. It is a great deterrent for smaller animals to think that a pack of dogs lives in the yard.

I'm not saying run out and get a pack of dogs, just that if you have a dog, you might want to consider inviting some other folks over that have dogs, too.

MoniDew
06-21-2010, 12:00 PM
*eavesdropping* (oh, that's so cleaver!)

wildcat
06-21-2010, 12:10 PM
They are few options,

You could try to build in protection, physical restrain.

You could introducing a guard, recommend outdoor cat

You could turn the invaders into a food source, but check with local state ordnance on trapping/snaring. When I grew up in the uk we would lay snares, rabbits are creatures of habit, locate a run, make a snare across.

SaraM2261
04-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all your helpful tips. After I posted this I put up some rabbit fencing around each thing they were loving the most - peas, beans and broccoli. Then I came out the next morning and found that my broccoli (inside the fence! That also had a top!) were very small rabbit droppings. I think a momma brought her babies in when she couldn't get in herself!

So that was it. I went to our local hardware store right then and bought rabbit fence and Victorian iron fencing! I had that baby up by sundown and as long as I do a perimeter check about once a week and fill in any gaps with rocks I have no troubles!

I also put mesh fabric over my berries, and also my jalapenos!!!! I can't imagine a bird eating a jalapeno, but they were gone!

Now I am going to be expanding the garden and I am going to use the same method of lining nice Victorian iron sections with rabbit fencing.