PDA

View Full Version : When to start seedlings...Zone 6b ~ 7a

Mushroom Man
02-10-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm here in Chatham, Ontario where my planting zone is 6b ~ 7a.
I'm itching to start my seedlings but I don't want to 'jump the gun'.

I will be building a Cold Frame this weekend and would like to know if it is too early to start seedlings in it or under indoor artificial lighting. I'm growing everything from artichokes to fruit berries (buying established strawberry plants when available). So any suggestions would be helpful.

PS...I have a 6x8' greenhouse being delivered 1st of April.

dairymon
02-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Mushroom Man... short answer is no, it not to early. I am in zone 5 and have started my leeks already an will be starting some cool season crops within the next 5 to 10 days.

Best bet is find your average last frost date for your area, then count back start dates so you have plants ready to put out. With the coldframe you can move the dates up on some of your crops.

I have a spread sheet listing each plant varities and there start times from av. last frost date on one form. If I can find it I will post.

Hope this helps a little.

I can't wait either....chomping at the bit for the season.

Mushroom Man
02-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Are you starting them indoors or in a cold frame?
Cold season crops...such as cabbage and lettuce? Anything else?

I think I'll start painting my seeds this weekend.

If you're not able to post your spreadsheet on this forum then please feel free to attach it and send it to Michael@NewGoldenAge.ca

Thank you so much!

GoldenAcres
02-11-2010, 10:28 AM
I too live in 6b/7a and started mine last night and will keep them in the house for now, it's still too cold outdoors. I only got a third started but will finish the rest this weekend. I found last year that starting now and repotting some plants at least twice before going in the garden really helped produce hardy plants.

dairymon
02-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Michael...I start all my plants in a germination table that I have built. It has four levels, each level with lights and timers, upper level enclosed in plastic with grow mat.

Will be starting broccoli, cabbage & head lettuce this weekend. In 2 weeks start cauliflower. In 4 weeks start eggplant, peppers & tomatoes.

Will try email for the spread sheet as it is to large for this site.

It will be good to get dirty hands again....just dugout of 8" snow, but nothing like east coast.

Mushroom Man
02-13-2010, 10:43 AM
When I say I am new at this...I really mean it. I know I should start slow but it's just not in my nature.

I will start my broccoli, cabbage & head lettuce today.

I'm also going to start artichokes for my Permiculture Food Forest (mini). I have 45 stawberrys on order for the ground cover & starting the KING OYSTER mushroom spawn today to for the 8th layer that will be colonizing the wood chip mulch. VERY EXCITED!

PS...I have been building a Mushroom Lab and just go it finished today. I'm moving in the equipment this morning. I am posting a small video for this forum at CLICK HERE (http://www.gardengirltv.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=1339) in a few hours.

Cya & thank you so much DairMon and GoldenAcres!