PDA

View Full Version : What are you planning on planting this coming spring?

SaraM2261
02-13-2010, 05:03 PM
I am starting to plan for my garden this coming spring and I would like to hear what others are planning on planting. I live in Minnesota (upper mid-west United States). I think I am in zone 3~4-ish?
Thanks in advance!

rdsaltpower
02-14-2010, 01:32 PM
I am planning on planting two varieties of tomatoes, several types of peppers, green beans, carrots, cuckumbers,maybe a few watermelon vines.
I sat up my seed starting shelf today and got out my potting supplies. I live in zone 6, Wv. Cant wait to get started!:)

Blossome
02-16-2010, 01:10 PM
I always get excited around this time and I can't wait till spring. I'm in zone 7A Maryland. I plan on growing a few different types of greens kale and collards ( haven't been successful with kale yet, it either gets eaten or burns), lettuce, okra, melons ( cantalope and water), I may try beans this year. I always grow spinich. I'm going to also try corn. I did grow them one year but wasn't successful, so I'm going to give it a try again. But I'm going use a homedepot bucket. I grew sweet potatoes last year like that. It was a lot cheaper than trying to make a Sqft big enough and deep enough. Some herbs, strawberry's which come back automatically now and so does my roma tomatoes. I tried broccoli but they came up really late and were very small. I may try again this year and use buckets with them too. Happy garden preping :)

SaraM2261
02-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Since I started the thread I suppose I should say what I am planning on planting this year!

I have a fresh new area in front of the house where I tore out a bunch of juniper bushes where I am extending my flower bed with day lilies, roses, and a Korean lilac tree, with morning glories on a trellis along the side of the house. I will have to do before and after pictures!!

In the veggie garden I am planning on beans, peas, several different tomatoes, lots and lots of broccoli, and herbs. I have roses and baby's breath on the boarder which I hope come back - they are covered in snow because I didn't get them covered in time. I also like to make a border of marigolds and put cosmos on the sides. I have a trellis all along the back of the garden (it backs up to the garage) which I grow morning glories on. I have 4 large pots that I use in the patio in back of the house which are white, I had red geraniums last year and I think I will do that again this year.

I also think I am going to get myself a greenhouse for my b-day and x-mas present this year so I can keep gardening. I just put up shelves for an indoor garden and to start seeds too! Now that I have figured out the lighting situation I think I can start from seeds for everything. I have enough room to start seeds/baby plants for my family members who have gardens too. :)

We should have a thread or even a section for before and after pictures! I think it would be so cool to see everyone's garden plot before planting, then again when everything looks all neat and nice, and then at the end of the year when the plants go crazy! :)

Thanks for sharing everyone! I love to hear what people are doing. I am jealous of people who are in warmer zones! I can't start seedlings for another month at least!

GoldenAcres
02-19-2010, 12:00 AM
This year four tomato varieties, green beans, lima beans, peas, bell peppers, popcorn, beets, turnips, corn salad, carrots, spinach, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash, patty pan, artichokes, pumpkins, watermelon, broccoli, cauliflower, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries.
That's what's on the list but I'm sure more will be added as the season progresses.:)
edit: oh yes I can't forget the six fruit trees.

swoop
02-20-2010, 08:58 PM
i am so excited - spring is on the way! i will be growing the usual tomatoes some heirloom varieties. zuccini, cukes, eggplant, lettuce, spinach, peppers (want to try the hot ones), onions (which i always wreck?) - i had luck with corn in the front yard to the embarrassment?! of my dh and the amusement of the neighbors. my rosemary, lavender and sage are actually still green even under the snow. i really want to use the whole front lawn for more veggies this year. i also want to plant lots of parsnips and carrots which i didn't plant last season and grow potatoes again but this time in beds instead of garbage bags i think the bags fluctuated in moisture and temp too much and affected my yield. i have limited space so i have to be creative plus have 11 hens and a coop which cut down on my planting space - but were soooo worth the sacrificed space. right the back yard looks like a bomb hit it - my dh likes to call it tobacco road. we also got tons of raspberries last season - my two dwarf fruit trees had lots of peaches and nectarines in the spring and then the fruit all fell off and i wound up with some gunky sappy stuff - got to see what i can do organically this year to address that. so did i ramble - if i had been talking i probably would have had to come up for air due to how totally excited i am.:)

Aspen
02-21-2010, 10:18 AM
I am planting salad (too many varieties to list!), eggplant, potatoes, a variety of peppers, sweet corn, watermelon, cantaloupe, and several varieties of heirloom tomatoes. I bought seeds from Freedom Gardens for a Great White tomato and I can't wait to try it!

dairymon
02-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Let the games begin...started today with the first seedings of leeks, broccoli, cabbage & green onions. Snow on the ground and i get to play in the dirt...gotta love it. To much to post at one time so will add as time goes here.

We are trying more heirloom varities this season...just to see.

Get them hands dirty everyone, it brings a smile to your face.

MoniDew
02-24-2010, 01:52 PM
started seeds today indoors. tomatoes, peppers, herbs, squash, cukes, beans, etc. Will be starting broccoli, cabbage, kale outdoors as soon as possible in my climate. follow up with sowing lettuces outdoors when warm enough for that.

SO HAPPY to be thinking of spring after such a long, cold winter! YEAY!!

rdsaltpower
02-27-2010, 05:43 PM
We started three types of peppers, lavander,basil,rosmary, and a couple of other flowers on our indoor seed starter shelves today. I guess the tomatoes will be next. Hoping for an early spring. We live in zone six. :)

Warlord
02-27-2010, 10:15 PM
We will be planting Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Onions, Garlic, Sweet Corn, Lettuce, Spinach, Cuc's, Zuchini, Peppers, Hubbard, Spaghetti and Butternut Squash. Not to mention several kinds of Tomatoes(Thinkin of you Plantoneonme fellow Michigander). I'm sure the list will get longer as the year progresses. We will have Spring, Summer and fall crops (Lord willing) and hopefully NO BLIGHTED TOMATOES THIS YEAR !!
We will actualy have a home garden and one out at our 5 acre lot 10 miles to the South. So busy busy I will be.

macnugget
03-01-2010, 03:21 AM
I got lots of seeds started and the cabbage is doing great just tranplanted that into bigger pot, leeks are starting well. I also have my winter hydroponic garden and it is doing great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUurJsUikbg and I started hatch quail for the 2010 season chickens will be next
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eXIWev-afo enjoy the short movie of my girl

redhead5318
03-02-2010, 12:55 PM
i'm so excited, i started my first batch of seeds a few days ago! Chives, Rosemary and Parsley. once those are going, I will start more herbs, once those are started I will start some tomatoes.

then i have to find a place to put everything on my 10 ft balcony. me thinks lots of baby plants will be given away to friends.

riskybidnes
03-02-2010, 08:56 PM
I have started 2 types of broccoli, cauliflower, and celery. They are all doing well so far. I started them indoors about 3 weeks ago. Also just stated 5 different tomatos last Wed.-Paul Robeson, Sungold Select II, Big Rainbow, Green Zebra, and Pink Ponderosa. They are starting to emerge from the starter soil as we speak. It is very exciting, never grew from seeds before, so this is a learning experience unto itself. :)
After it warms a bit going to do carrots, bush beans(Dragon Toungue), pole beans(?), leaf lettuce, sweet peas, cucumbers, arugala, spinach, squash, watermelon(Moon and Stars), swiss chard(bright lights), andI want to start a strawberry pyramid and a blueberry raised bed. Whew, cant wait till it warms up just a little. :)
Scott

MoniDew
03-03-2010, 06:46 PM
I ordered from Baker's Creek this year. Did not want a repeat of last year's Seeds of Change fiasco! :D

I got:

Beans

Roma II Bush Bean
Cherokee Trail of Tears Pole Bean

Coles/Crucivores

Early Purple Sprouting Broccoli
Long Island Improved Brussels Sprouts
Blue Curled Scotch Kale

Cukes

Delikatesse Cucumber

Herbs

Basil - Genovese
Thyme
Cilantro
Dill Bouquet
Oregano, Vulgare
Parsley Giant Of Italy
Stevia

Lettuce/Salad

Henderson's Black Seed Lettuce
Lollo Rosso Lettuce
Wild Rocket Arugula
European Mesclun Mix
Rocky Top Lettuce Mix

Peppers

Red Marconi Pepper
King Of The North Pepper

Pumpkins/Squashes/Melons

Rouge Vif D' Etampes Pumpkin
Butternut Rogosa Violina Gioia Squash
Charentais Melon

Tomatoes

Pink Oxheart Tomato
Millionaire Tomato
Principe Borghese Tomato
Paul Robeson Tomato

MoniDew
03-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Big day in the garden yesterday! I planted 1 each:
grapes, blueberries, raspberries and a pomegranate, 2 types of asparagus, Ozark strawberries, red potatoes, onions (red and yellow) garlic, shallots, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale, several kinds of lettuce, and several varieties of herbs.

Oh, and! transplanted all the warm weather crops into 4X4's to give them growing room.

EXHAUSTED!!!

vermmy35
03-19-2010, 10:26 PM
I plan on doing the usual Tomato's and what-not. The biggest thing is I plan on putting 2 more beehives in the backyard this year so that will make 3 in total.

James
03-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Lets see theres 3 types of Onions in, 3 colors of Potatoes well up and close to blooming, The beans are a foot high, the corn is up, The peanuts are up. The squHard to say what I'll plant next month , When I get home..ash and watermelons are up. The horse radish is in, the garlic is in.

LDMT
04-17-2010, 01:23 PM
This year I will be planting 6 different varieties of tomatoes (yellow pear, yellow taxi, tom thumb (yellow), husky cherry, campari,and better boy), bell peppers, cukes,snow peas, zuchinni and yellow squash, carrots, yukon potatoes, 2 kinds of lettuce, 4 types of basil, rosemary, 2 kinds of thyme, 2 types of dill, cilantro, and lemon verbena. I have french sorrel, chives, english thyme, oregano, garlic, shallots, and yellow onions already up from last year. Strawberries plants are up as well. I'm trying my hand at celery from seed this year, hope to also plant broccoli, cabbage, and collards a bit later in the season. I also have a meyer lemon, murcott, and lime tree all in pots. I really want to add grapes outside but I have no idea how to handle the vining w/o an arbor - there's just no room for one. I'm thinking about blueberries as well. I'm sure I left something out but that's the jist of it. I can't wait to really get out there! :D