PDA

View Full Version : New to group

sfsnascar
02-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Hello all my name is Steve. I live in southern New Jersey across the river from Philadelphia. I have been gardening for about 20 yrs. But the last 7 have been in hydroponics. This yr I will only have 2 crops going in the ground all the rest are in water. Here is a picture hope it come out. Patti i do have a question abt ur seed starter. the tube from the tank just goes to the end of the tub, the the drain is what im trying to figure out. do u just have a hose going back to the tank or does it drain into another tub, then back into the tank? I was looking at a homemade unit that uses a fogger for spraying water on the seed/seedlings. Well everyone have a good day and on this Thur for people in the north east don't pull ur backs out shoveling the snow.

steve

James
02-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Hello Steve, I was just in flithydelphia last week,, Jersey ain't so bad I guess. But your intro on , the hydrophonics intriges me. As well as I know others here will be interested in.Any thoughts on some one thinking of trying A small scale set up??? Take care and happy crops. Oh the snow sucks. It was bad up there last week.

gardengirl72
02-25-2010, 10:55 PM
The tubs drain top down thru tubing that goes to the end of the tub then a last tub empties back into the fish tank. Hope this answers your question.

sfsnascar
02-26-2010, 07:16 AM
James u can build a small aeroponic system using a rubbermaid 32-36 gal container or even a 5 gal pail. Just make sure u use a filter on the outlet side of the pump. Small piece of dirt will clog the sprayers. The units i have now are 56 & 102 grow chamber aeroponic unit. 1 14 grow unit ebb & flow. And a new 10 unit drip using 5 gal buckets that will be installed this spring. Also u can make a nice ebb & flow using 2 liter soda bottles. If anyone is intersted in the pictures of the units e-mail me at sfsnascar@yahoo.com and i will send them out. steve

Eggzactly
03-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Nothing to add just saying welcome

MoniDew
03-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Nothing to add just saying welcome

Me too!! Hello!

Blossome
03-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Welcome Steve, nice hydrogarden.

sfsnascar
03-06-2010, 09:31 PM
thank you Blossome but that is only 1 unit, that unit will handle 56 plants in it but i only use 35 spots. In the back where the ground is turned over is another aeroponic unit that handles 102 plants all filled peas/beans/peas. next to that one is a 14 unit ebb & flow. new this season will be a 10 unit drip system. but the picture is the first unit that i had. i still put some plants in the ground. sprouts and mellons. did try canaloupe in a hydro did work but pain in the neck supporting the fruit. but some of that will change in the future. after doing hydroponics i don't think i'll goo back to soil best part no weeding and bending over. the down side fertilizer $$$$$$$$$ but i get about 3 yrs on 6 gal jugs. steve

gardengirl72
03-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Great Healthy looking plants!

Blossome
03-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Wow! that is so great. Do this really help you utilize more space. I have a small room in the basement I'm considering growing in during the winter but I really did want to deal with all the dirt in the house. I may have to look into doing this.

sfsnascar
03-14-2010, 06:26 PM
there r a ton of units u can make, there r ones that hang on a wall. there is a nice ebb & flow that i may try for indoor gardening for the winter. I don't know the name of the 2 guys who do it. Go to You-Tube and type in ebb & flow they have abt 4 videos of units u can make. This unit can fit on a small kitchen table. It has 30 gal rubbermaid tub, plastic cement tray used for mixing cement (home depot, lowes) the ebb & flow fitting, piece of 1 1/2 pvc pipe and fittings, air pump, and airstones, water pump (u don't need a high volume pimp abt 150-200 gph (petco or petsmart, on-line petstores) but last but not least the all expensive grow lamp. shopping around abt 60-80 dollars for the unit, just make sure u put in a drain to get water out for water changes. grow lamps i just cringe at the cost of them & the bulbs. there is a another thing there is a book out called How To Hydroponics by Keith Roberto u can find it at futuregarden.com as a download or go to ur local bookstore, i know Barnes & Noble carried it u want the newest edition i think 4th. good luck and happy planting. steve

Blossome
03-15-2010, 01:14 PM
there r a ton of units u can make, there r ones that hang on a wall. there is a nice ebb & flow that i may try for indoor gardening for the winter. I don't know the name of the 2 guys who do it. Go to You-Tube and type in ebb & flow they have abt 4 videos of units u can make. This unit can fit on a small kitchen table. It has 30 gal rubbermaid tub, plastic cement tray used for mixing cement (home depot, lowes) the ebb & flow fitting, piece of 1 1/2 pvc pipe and fittings, air pump, and airstones, water pump (u don't need a high volume pimp abt 150-200 gph (petco or petsmart, on-line petstores) but last but not least the all expensive grow lamp. shopping around abt 60-80 dollars for the unit, just make sure u put in a drain to get water out for water changes. grow lamps i just cringe at the cost of them & the bulbs. there is a another thing there is a book out called How To Hydroponics by Keith Roberto u can find it at futuregarden.com as a download or go to ur local bookstore, i know Barnes & Noble carried it u want the newest edition i think 4th. good luck and happy planting. steve

Is this them? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn5urDG2WtE, thanks so much for the advise.

sfsnascar
03-16-2010, 08:57 AM
my bad here is the link: http://www.suretogrow.com/ when u get on go to their you tube channel on the right side of the page, there u will see all their videos. the one u sent i seen that one. there is lot of videos out there

good luck steve

Blossome
03-16-2010, 01:18 PM
my bad here is the link: http://www.suretogrow.com/ when u get on go to their you tube channel on the right side of the page, there u will see all their videos. the one u sent i seen that one. there is lot of videos out there

good luck steve

Thanks I did a search at home and did not see these guys at all. I'm going to check them out more when I get home. I really appreciate the help.