PDA

View Full Version : New baby chicks!!

PJJ
09-30-2008, 03:45 AM
Hey gals and guys!

I'm so excited! My eggs are hatching as I type this! Check out the pic on my profile! I can't figure out how to post it on this thread.:confused:

Four have hatched and four more have little bumps on their shells. I have 16 eggs in my incubator. They were supposed to hatch tomorrow evening. I was really surprised when I heard them cheeping a few minutes ago. I really thought they would've died when our electricity was off when we had the bad winds through southern IN. It was off for 12 hours. I wrapped the incubator in heavy blankets and hoped for the best. When the power came back on the temp in the incubator was only 75.

Just tonight we got our other 20 chicks in their new chicken tractor. I'll post pics of the tractor tomorrow. It got dark on us tonight and started raining on us as we were putting them in it.

I hadn't used my old incubator in 15 or 16 years. I'm so glad it still works! A friend of mine gave me the eggs. I bought the older chicks from our local farm supply store. I did splurge and buy an egg turner about a week after I put the eggs in the incubator. It was so worth the $41.00 it cost.

Thanks for looking :),

Penny

Fred's Fine Fowl
09-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Thanks for sharing that your chicks are actively pipping!
I'm so glad they made it through your power outtage.

Some may be wondering what an automatic turner is and where they can purchase hobby incubators. Here is one of many sources, for incbator parts (if you're building your own) and incubators if you want a ready-to-go incubator setup.

http://www.eggcartons.com/category-exec/category_id/45/nm/Incubators_and_Accessories

Can't wait to see your photos!

Backyard Permaculture
09-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Congrats on your new chicks.

I am 53 years old. I have built about 5 incubators over the years, and need to build another.

But I'm as excited as a 10 year old kid when chicks start to hatch.

Ron

PJJ
09-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the info Fred. The lady at the farm store asked me where to get a candling light. I think I saw one on a link you suggested earlier. I'm going to look for it and give her the website. She said people have been asking for them and the store doesn't carry them. I'm going to get one myself before I hatch another batch of eggs. By the way, I enjoy reading all your posts!! I've learned a lot from Patti's website and this board.

Ron,

I feel the same way! They are just so cute! I hadn't used my incubator in so many years. Now I am glad I hung on to it.

More pics from today on my profile!!

Thanks for looking!:)

Penny

gardengirl72
09-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Penny, they look so great. I am so nervous about my own hatching projects now! Totally inspiring.

Fred's Fine Fowl
10-01-2008, 08:32 AM
PJJ...

Here is the best candling device I've ever used.. and I have purchased and made several wacky contraptions over the years... either too hot, or not bright enough.

I carry the Mini-Maglite AA

they come with a rubber boot on the end, which is perfect.

Two AA batteries

Comes with a handy belt loop pouch (if you need it)

The beam focuses with the twist of the wrist.

It's demonstrated on my video (Regarding Chickens) and I'd never go back to another candler.

If you have a store, I recommend you stock up on these MINI MAGLITE's and offer them as a multipurpose flashlight (which they are) and egg candler.

Fred's Fine Fowl
10-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Since you are into constructing your own incubators...

Have you spent any time looking over the parlor models from long ago?

Some of the best cabinet work anywhere and they still manage to show up at farm auctions from time to time. Ever consider re-constructing one of those fanciful models?

I've always wanted to have a fancy built-in unit, special hepa filters and all, just don't seem to have the time... would love to see your designs!

Computer fans make excellent, silent running re-circulation systems... allows you to draw off the fine down after the hatch, yet return the air without having to re-heat it.

I hatch every Friday... however, now, the season is drawing down... how sad eh?

Backyard Permaculture
10-01-2008, 12:12 PM
I have some hardware waiting, ready to build an incubator. A heating element with its cord - recycled from a electric cooking appliance, a fan for circulation from a defuct hood over a stove and a Incubator/brooder thermostat that I will rob from a brooder I built back in 1996 or so. I built a different style brooder for my last chicks, where they are brooded on the ground.

I think I will Photo document the next I build, and maybe publish a book on building one, like Herrick Kimball did with "Anyone Can Build a Tub-Style Mechanical Chicken Plucker" - AKA the Whiizbang Chicken Plucker. (go to http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/whizbangchickenpluckers/?yguid=165971300)

My last homebuilt incubator had a capacity of 15 doz chicken eggs and for turning the eggs, I used a slider rack that made it a piece of cake to turn them.

Ron

RogueAPBT
10-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Penny, they look great! Congrats!

Patti, good luck with your quail eggs. I think you should definitely stick with it. Sometimes nature will surprise you with its resilience, as Penny's chicks have!

Cheryl

PJJ
10-01-2008, 06:54 PM
We lost one of the chicks during the night. :( It was the last to hatch. It was so weak it never did even stand up.

The other 13 are doing GREAT!

Penny

gardengirl72
10-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Poor thing.