PDA

View Full Version : Rabbits and vinca (periwinkle)

Karen
03-09-2010, 09:27 AM
I have a bed close to my house that the previous owner planted with vinca as a groundcover. I'd really like to reclaim that bed, and the vinca is annoyingly invasive (as well as being classed obnoxious here in Md - never should have been planted). I had planned on putting my new (soon) rabbit tractor on that area for a few months to aid in getting rid of it and fertilizing, etc. However, I just read something that said rabbits will avoid vinca. anyone have experience with this, or know more about it? I really dread the idea of digging all that stuff out - if I have to do that I'll probably cover it with plastic for awhile to kill it first I guess but it sure is persistant.

Karen

gardengirl72
03-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Have you ever heard of Lasanga gardening? Here's Pat's article. http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/1999-04-01/Lasagna-Gardening.aspx

She suggests layering with newspaper and cardboard. This could work well for you.

Karen
03-09-2010, 03:00 PM
thanks for the link - I had heard of it but hadn't really thought of using it in this case, but you're right, it would work well. I could layer on cardboard and newspaper on the bottom to kill the vinca eventually, and then pile up other stuff that the rabbits could eventually go over to mix up, etc.

Karen