PDA

View Full Version : No kneed bread

Sinfonian
09-30-2008, 04:11 AM
Kinda surprise there isn't a thread on this already. I found a site called breadtopia.com and made up the sourdough starter a month ago. So far I've made three loaves of no-kneed sourdough bread and I've yet to perfect it. The good news is it tastes incredible even when it doesn't look like the experts!

Does anyone else bake their own bread here? I've got a buddy that bakes all their own bread. I just do it for grins now, but may do it more in the future! Get those preservatives out of my kids' diet.

Cynthia
09-30-2008, 04:14 AM
I do bake bread, but it is sporadic. Last bread I made was a no-knead recipe I got out of the NY Times. It was a very good loaf of bread but I think I needed a smaller pan to give it a better shape.

I love to make both whole wheat and sourdough -

Sinfonian
09-30-2008, 04:38 PM
My sourdough starter is wheat based and fed. Unfortunately when it comes to making bread with it I use a 1/3-2/3 blend of bread flour to wheat. Any more wheat and it doesn't rise right.

It still turns out looking wheat like and is hearty.

plantoneonme
10-02-2008, 05:47 AM
My sourdough starter is wheat based and fed. Unfortunately when it comes to making bread with it I use a 1/3-2/3 blend of bread flour to wheat. Any more wheat and it doesn't rise right.

Can you share your recipe with us? Kim

Ani
10-02-2008, 05:28 PM
When I could still eat wheat, I baked all my own bread. I still bake about half the bread my DH eats but it's such a process de-glutening the kitchen after :( I love the smell of baking bread!

The NY times no-kneed recipe rocks! Its great for people who are a little shy about starting since it works every time

Here is the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

IIRC, it needs more salt.

Sinfonian
10-05-2008, 02:27 AM
The recipie for my bread. Well I'll start with the starter recipie I used. It's from Breadtopia. I emailed several times with Eric the site owner and he was very helpful. Here's a link to the recipie and a video showing you how it's done.

http://www.breadtopia.com/make-your-own-sourdough-starter/

And here is a link to the no-kneed bread recipie and proceedure, again with a cool video to show you how it's done.

http://www.breadtopia.com/sourdough-no-knead-method/

Sorry, the link button won't work for me.

Hope that helps. I didn't come up with any of this myself, I can just follow directions fairly well. hehe. And boy did it turn out tasty!

rosemom
12-18-2008, 09:24 AM

I have started grinding my own wheat. When you use 100% whole wheat it is better to make a sponge and let it set for at least 3 hours - I let mine sit overnight.

Add 1/8 t. ascorbic acid per loaf and it will rise wonderfully.

* ascorbic acid powder is available at most health food stores. It's a very important ingredient ANY time you make bread that includes wheat germ (which is in whole wheat flour). There is a substance in wheat germ called Glutathione. This substance breaks down the gluten and can result in a short loaf. The bran in whole wheat bread can also cut the gluten strands which results in a short squatty loaf. The sponge helps to soften the bran. The addition of 1/8 t. ascorbic acid per loaf of bread will counteract the negative effects of Glutathione. It will help prevent the gluten bonds from breaking down and will also help repair gluten bonds that have been broken. The ascorbic acid also helps sustain the leavening of bread loaves during baking. Yeast grows longer and faster when there is also ascorbic acid. Do not add it to sourdough recipes because they are naturally an acidic atmosphere.

gardengirl72
12-18-2008, 05:53 PM
How do you grind your own wheat? I am dying to know.

rosemom
12-19-2008, 09:15 AM
How do you grind your own wheat? I am dying to know.

There are all kinds of wheat/grain grinders out there - both electric and hand powered. I have a grain attachment for my Kitchenaide Mixer. Not the best way as it is slow and you have to do smaller amounts in order not to overhead the mixer and I run it through the grinder 2 times.

Do a Google search for Grain Mills and you will find lots of them.