PDA

View Full Version : Lone Chicken

Kanthaka
03-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Hey Fred!
My barred rock died suddenly a few days ago leaving just my Delaware as my only remaining chicken. As they are flock animals I am wondering if she needs companionship. If so, then where does one purchase adult hens? The hatcheries only sell them in large quantities.
Or I am struggling with the thought of re-homing my single hen. The lady who gave the talk at the co-op said Delawares are her favorite breed and she wants to raise them...and with my track record...two sudden deaths ...maybe I am not a good chicken mom. ( although in searching the forums for sudden hen deaths it does seem to happen fairly frequently with no warning, still I am feeling pretty awful about it)
I was at the co-op today and thought about speaking to her. BTW, Fred, you are famous the the co-op. When I was talking to one of the cashiers (also a chicken keeper) about my situation she jokingly said "How about that guy Fred? He has like 200 chickens. Sneak onto his place at night and just grab one!"

Fred's Fine Fowl
03-26-2010, 02:48 PM
You are absolutely correct.. they are social by nature and generally don't do well as a single kept bird. Though they have been friends with ducks, peafowl and other avian species...
I hope you can find another adult bird... problem is, it's too early in the year to get one from a fair or 4-H group... they are just starting their birds now.
BUT, as the show and exhibition season begins, you can indeed go there and buy one of the exhibited birds for a very reasonable rate.
Even a bird that has won a ribbon can often be had for around $25.00 (cash and carry)... birds are generally sold off the last day of the fair.
Please be very careful if you attend a farm auction out in the county... often the birds being sold off are already well aged, or often in some ailing condition... rare for someone to sell off healthy promising stock at one of these auctions. There are also chicken/poultry swap meets... if you don't know what you're looking at, that can be a bad idea... on the other hand, if you do understand good condition and what to look for, then it can be a good thing and birds are purchased there at bargain prices.
I personally hang onto my hens... so no chicken nabbing if you please (';')
If you want a couple of banty chicks, I'm hatching and will have some the week after Easter Sunday... but you wouldn't know the sex until much later, normally around the 6th week and then your hen may not accept the new comers.
Watch the newspaper, often there are people selling or just getting rid of chickens... try to get them from birds that have been tested for common avian ailments... they will have the testing paperwork to shoe you from the Dept. of Agriculture if this is the case.
Sorry you suffered a loss... I wouldn't give up though... having chickens is a wonderful pass-time and it's great when you can give them individual attention...

wishing you all well,
Fred
www.FredsFineFowl.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/HTCSWEOD?feature=mhw4

Kanthaka
03-27-2010, 10:23 PM
As always, thank you Fred for the excellent advice. It does seem that adult laying hens are worth their weight in gold and then some as they are not easy to find right now. I have had three different offers of roosters though...now wouldn't that make me most popular neighbor ever?
In gratitude,
Karen from the Erie, PA Poultry Underground

macnugget
03-28-2010, 08:23 PM
As always, thank you Fred for the excellent advice. It does seem that adult laying hens are worth their weight in gold and then some as they are not easy to find right now. I have had three different offers of roosters though...now wouldn't that make me most popular neighbor ever?
In gratitude,
Karen from the Erie, PA Poultry Underground

YEAH I AGREE with Fred, check criagslist and look for chicken swaps they are usually a good place to start get more than one maybe 2 would be better

Kanthaka
04-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Took a while but the Erie, PA Poultry Underground came through and I was able to purchase a bantam brahma hen from Craigslist! Now I'm experiencing the stress of introductions!
Any hints to make it go smoother? My "old" hen chases the newcomer. They seem to be calming down and getting closer but it's been 3 days. They roost/sleep together and rotate time in the coop while the other free ranges. Figured that way they could see and get to know each other without physical contact. How long do introductions usually take? My fear is that I upset the apple cart of two chickens and now they're both miserable and stressed.