PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry patch question

daddylonglegs
03-29-2010, 07:34 AM
I was thinking about putting a small bed inside a large dog crate to keep out deer and rabbits from eating my strawberries. Do you think this will work? As long as I put chicken wire on the bottom for burrowers?

Thanks for your input
DLL

mmandjsmom
04-02-2010, 11:19 AM
I wish I could help by offering advice. However, I'm not sure what type of dog crate you are talking about since all I can invision is a wire cage that would not allow soil to be piled into it. It can not hurt to give it a try if you think it will work, however.

SaraM2261
05-04-2010, 02:19 PM
The dog crates I have seen are closed plastic on top (and bottom) which would not allow sunlight in. :) Wire might work if it is fine enough. For deer for sure, but might not keep out small birds.

Also, strawberries are perennial which means that if you plant them in the soil they will come back! So you don't want to hinder any of that. I would recommend getting some bird netting from your local hardware store. I got some last year and it really helped me get some strawberries for myself to eat instead of supplying the birds with food!

Good luck and let us know what you ultimately do and if it works.