PDA

View Full Version : When is early Spring in zone 4/ MN?

mmandjsmom
04-01-2010, 09:29 PM
I really want to plant some more raspberries and strawberries & I know that the best time to do so is "early spring". However, I don't know when this is on the calendar. I am in the Twin Cities metro area of Minnesota with a last average frost date of May 10th. When should I plant them? It has been fairly warm/ unseasonably warm for the past 2 weeks, so I am itching to garden, but don't want to jump too fast. I also want to raise the planting bed for the raspberries if possible to enrich the crummy soil I have.

Advice?

SaraM2261
05-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Hello fellow MN!!
I am in the south metro!

I hope you got your plants in by now seeing as your post was from Feb!
I have gardened here for years and I consider early Spring to be about mid-April. Peas, and Radishes can go in. anything that can actually have snow on it and still survive.

I am very curious about your garden situation. I have strawberries they have been up and flowering for over a week now. I expect to have some actual berries by the end of May! My garden is up against my garage and I am going to be building a roll-back greenhouse type structure in the next weeks. Then my early spring really will start in FEB! I am so excited.

I would love to connect and share with you!
~ Sara in MN