PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice growing grapes

LDMT
04-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi! I am really tempted to try my hand at growing grapes this year. I have researched but can't really find any step by step instructions or what to do for my area. I'm in Boston - Zone 6 (I think). I have a good size yard but the thought of adding an arbor doesn't fit the layout. I have a North facing wall that gets a good amount of sunlight and has fencing attached above it. Think i could do it there? The wall is about 3-4 feet high and the fencing about the same height, giving me a good 7-8 feet from the ground. The width of the fence is about 35 -40 feet for just that area. I have mainly flowers planted in that area but am thinking of moving my herbs to that area this year.
I also have another fence (just as wide) that is right behind my raised bed, that gets sunlight all day long BUT i found virgina creeper growing there last year and it freak me out to think another vine may intertwine with the grapes as I I'm not trying to hurt anyone! Am I on the right path? should I look to place them elsewhere? :confused: