PDA

View Full Version : Glenda from Port Charlotte Florida

glenda08
09-30-2008, 08:02 AM
Hi Pattie,

I have been researching your web-site for a while. I have just started my square foot garden this year. I have had a lot of problems with aphids,white flies and now worms eating the leaves on the squash plants.

I see that you use diatimaous earth in your garden and I am going to purchase this product to use as well.

My question is, do you use just the flour or do you use the product that is sold as a pesticide. Also, where do you purchase your product.

Hope to here from you soon.

Glenda

gardengirl72
09-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Welcome Glenda!

Don't worry about the pests yet. It will take some time to get your micro environment into balance.

At this stage, I would buy some lady bugs for the aphids. For the slugs, some chickens would be great. If you not ready for livestock, for slugs save your eggshells and use them around and in your garden beds. Another great idea would be peach pits or cocoa shell for mulch.

If you have more questions, please put them in the Gardening thread so it is easy to share the info.

Thanks and Welcome,

P

plantoneonme
09-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi Glenda, as Patti said come join us in some of the other forums...there is so much information going around and I am sure you have some to offer as well. My slugs love me because I get them drunk! A large saucer of beer place just below ground level (and away from my plants) lures them in by the hundreds...the little buggers get so drunk they drown hehe. Kim

Sinfonian
09-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Yay, another SFGer! Welcome. There is a wealth of information and helpful folks here, take advantage of them and if you're new to SFG, check out my blog. I tell you how to fix all my mistakes, hehe.

AbbeyLehman
10-11-2008, 04:03 AM
Welcome Glenda!!!! Pests can also be removed using the high-pressure spray from your garden hose--just hold the plant with your other hand to protect the plant itself from damage. They don't seem to climb back the plants afterwards, either.

Hi Glenda, as Patti said come join us in some of the other forums...there is so much information going around and I am sure you have some to offer as well. My slugs love me because I get them drunk! A large saucer of beer place just below ground level (and away from my plants) lures them in by the hundreds...the little buggers get so drunk they drown hehe. Kim

I don't think DH would take kindly to such a heinous waste of alcohol.....But *I* sure think it sounds great!! :D