PDA

View Full Version : Feeling discouraged

GoldenAcres
04-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Trying to get my garden going and it's not going so well.
The truck has a broken rear axle, 65-70 mph winds torn up my row covers (killing the artichokes) and bent my bean trellis, can't find my Skill saw and now unemployed so there goes the money to amend the sandy soil.

I got lots of seeds and tomato starts but without the truck and money I can't get all the compost and soil I need to really get moving.
I have tried Craigslist and Freecycle to get some free stuff but, because I live on the "wrong side" of the river getting someone to deliver is very hard.

I know it will get done but it is hard to look at the plot just sit empty now that the weather is finally good. :(

MoniDew
04-19-2010, 07:05 PM
oi!! I'm feeling your pain! :(

Wish I knew how to help. :shrug:

hope things start turning out your way, and soon!

GoldenAcres
04-23-2010, 01:15 AM
Things are looking better.
Tuesday I used up all the compost I thought I had and worked up two beds for root crops so I have russet potatoes and carrots in the ground. The carrots are an experiment, I read a quick tip on making your own seed tape using toilet paper so I figured what can it hurt. I made some and tried it in the house in a small container to see if anything would sprout and they did, now I just have to wait and see how it does outside.
Then yesterday while walking around the back acre I found a compost pile I forgot about :rolleyes: so I now have more compost and soil to amend at least two more beds. I will do some direct seed sowing in a few days, it has been raining all day today which is badly needed. I plan on companion planting as much as possible this year so I can get as much bang for my buck as possible.

MoniDew
04-23-2010, 08:50 PM
I've always been curious about companion planting. Perhaps you could start a thread on that topic, and teach the rest of us? :D

daddylonglegs
04-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Here's what I do when I need a truck. My mom's car has a trailer hitch, so I go to U-haul and rent a trailer. Works like a charm and it's not too expensive...maybe $19 or so.

What state do you live in?
I'm in Rhode Island
DDL

GoldenAcres
04-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Here's what I do when I need a truck. My mom's car has a trailer hitch, so I go to U-haul and rent a trailer. Works like a charm and it's not too expensive...maybe $19 or so.

What state do you live in?
I'm in Rhode Island
DDL

I live in New Mexico. Unfortunately the local U-haul charges 100 bucks a day period:( My brother found a nice tarp system that fit's inside an SUV or station wagon so I hope that will come in handy soon.

Right now the winds are about 30-40 mph with rain so I ain't doing anything outside for a few days, gives me some time to start some more seeds.:)