PDA

View Full Version : Lettuce Plants wilting and dieing off

daddylonglegs
05-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Location is Rhode Island. On advice of the plant store, I put the lettuce plants in the ground the first week of April. The soil was a mixture of compost and loom and I put some Maine lobster compost into it also.

We have had some pretty cold nights, but I was told that lettuce is a cold weather plant. I've had a good mix of sun and rain, watering when rain doesn't come.

The romaine was the worst, Green leaf, not much better and the red oak doing the best, but not great.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to save my lettuce? If I'm doing something wrong, even if I go and buy new plants, they will only die again.

Any thoughts? Thanks
DLL

MoniDew
05-03-2010, 05:12 PM
hard to know... can you snap some pics? could be a fungus or pest of some kind...

My lettuce is off to a rough start this year, too. Has hardly grown at all. And my broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and kale is all SLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW too.

I thought maybe it's because I rotated the beds this year. Maybe the lettuce-related items can't grow in the same space where broccoli-related items have previously grown, and vice-versa.

I hope someone responds, because I'd be curious to find the answer, too.

daddylonglegs
05-24-2010, 07:58 AM
Hi MoniDew,
Seems that lettuce doesn't like it quite as cold as our weather was. I brought the plants over to the nursury and he said the frost/freeze was the problem. Sure enough, warmer weather made the difference.

Sorry I couldn't send photos because camera died. Can't be fixed...sob, sniff, I loved that thing.

Have a great season.
DLL