PDA

View Full Version : Plain Ole Crushed Tomatoes

Garden Green
05-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Tomatoes-Crushed
Ideal for use in soups, stews and casseroles.

Approximate Yields:
22 pounds whole tomatoes for canner load of 7 quarts.
14 pounds whole tomatoes for canner load of 9 pints.

Hot Pack preparing tomatoes
To remove skins, wash tomatoes and dip in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds or until the skins begin to split. Then dip in cold water, slip off skins, core and remove any blemished or discolored parts. Cut into quarters.

Heat about 1 pound of the quarters quickly in a large pot. As they are added, crush cut pieces using a large wooded spoon. This will draw off some juice. Continue heating the tomatoes, stirring to prevent burning. Bring to a boil and gradually add the remaining quarters while stirring continually. These will soften with stirring and heating and will not need to be crushed. Continue until all tomatoes are added. Then boil gently 5 minutes.

Packing Jars

Add lemon juice or citric acid to canning jars along with 1/2 teaspoon salt to each quart jar, if desired. Fill jars immediately with hot tomatoes, leaving 1/2 -inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim and screw threads and adjust lids and screw bands.

Processing Methods

Boiling Water Bath Canner

Pints 35 minutes
Quarts 45 minutes

Pressure Canner

Dial Gauge Type at 11 pounds pressure or Weighted Gauge Type at 10 pounds pressure.

Pints 15 minutes
Quarts 15 minutes

After processing, remove jars immediately, place on a rack to cool.
Test for Seal.

MoniDew
05-23-2010, 12:56 PM
perfect!! it's just this kind of USEFUL INFORMATION that we need to maintain.

I know I certainly wasn't raised knowing how to can. My mother never did. This would become lost information over the generations if we didn't intentionally seek to maintain it.

Thank you, Dana, as always! You are doing such a VALUABLE and IMPORTANT thing here.

Garden Green
05-26-2010, 01:40 AM
Thank you, Monica! I am glad that someone is finding these recipes useful. :)