PDA

View Full Version : will chickens come home to roost in a chicken tractor??

Hydro662
06-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Hello everyone,

i wonder if anyone has any experience in having thier chickens come home to roost in the chicken tractor?? i just built a nice and large chicken tractor from PVC and i have the chickens in there and they are pretty happy at the moment, but i like to also let them out so that they can get some excersize and free range a bit. I just want to know if they will go back into the chicken tractor to roost even if i move it around or does it have to be stationary?? Well i would love to hear anyones ideas or thoughts on this. thanks so much to all and thanks to Patti for a wonderful site!!!

Fred's Fine Fowl
06-15-2010, 09:38 PM
It's been my experience that the chickens do return to the portable coop system just as they would a stationary coop at night.

I move them first thing in the morning, before opening the door(s)... they come and go throughout the day for food, water and laying in the roosting box.

I suppose I wouldn't make the move a drastic long distance one? Within 20 feet or so they will certainly find it again. It also helps is you keep the portable system oriented the same when in the new location... keeping the entry door facing the same general direction and so on.

Best of luck to you!
Fred
www.FredsFineFowl.com