PDA

View Full Version : Explosion of Herbs

Garden Green
06-25-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but my herbs are doing just dandy! The smell of basil is thick in my yard and my garlic chives get taller with every passing day. They have all made some very delicious meals, too. I threw together some basil pork last night and the frowny faces came out when it became apparent that I didn't cook enough.

I've grown a lot of basil in the past along with most of the herbs I have this year, too. But this was my first year growing garlic chives and it will now be a regular, I think. Some very awesome mashed potatoes have come out of that container out back.

I love my herbs and have always loved cooking with them. I was just curious what everyone else is growing and cooking up out of their gardens right now.

gardengirl72
06-26-2010, 07:02 AM
I've been working on what seems to be an epic remodel of my daughter's room, but my garden is doing really well this year. I have experimented with so many different things this year. new kale varieties and raised bed configurations. My three sisters garden is beautiful as well. I planted one of them with sunflowers and it is stunning. (pictures to come).
My cilantro this year is killer. I will make some thing with that later today. A fun new addition is my beehive. I'm sure Fred would have been proud to see me in the mask and gloves moving my bees in. My husband was terrified and due to the fact that he is allergic to bees he stood inside the whole time and watch in horror thru the window. So much has happened this growing season, I can't believe that it's just the first week of summer. Happy growing everyone.

MoniDew
06-26-2010, 12:48 PM
My goodness Patti! What a patient husband you have - to let you move in something he is so allergic to! :D You should thank him! And, I'm sure he'll enjoy the honey from the hive!

My herbs are growing "great guns" as they say in Oklahoma. I seem to use thyme a lot. I have three kinds of basil, because it's my husband's favorite, curly and flat parsley, Greek and Italian oregano, lemon and regular thyme, garlic chives, cilantro, dill (my favorite), peppermint, tarragon, lavender, and a rosemary that was bred to withstand Oklahoma winters.

Tomatoes and peppers are beginning to set fruit now, so are cukes, have a ton of butternut squash blossoms, but no fruit yet, have been eating tons of salads out of my lettuce, have pulled all of my potatoes and peas now, still pulling onions, radish, and hopefully will have some carrots soon.

Grapevine, raspberry, blueberry, and pomegranate were all planted this year, so are too young to set much fruit. But the one or two raspberries I got were AMAZING! I need to buy them each a companion next year so they can cross pollinate each other.

And I just need to say a HUGE thank you to Patti for getting me excited about gardening again. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Patti - I really think you saved my life!