PDA

View Full Version : DIY chicken tractor a-frame

btompkins
07-25-2010, 07:41 PM
We built ourselves a chicken tractor for 3 hens we are getting. We wanted fresh eggs but neede to safeguard the chickens. We studied varios ideas online and developed an a-frame that suitedthe size we wanted and used some materials we already had. The finished project andconstruction are on youtube. Just search for sbhministry or use the words in the heading of this thread. In His service, Bonnie.

MoniDew
07-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Patti also has wonderful videos demonstrating the construction of her chicken tractors. They are available on youtube as well.

Christinajomd
04-27-2011, 08:57 AM
I know Patti is one BUSY gal, but I wish she would give a material list and exact dimensions/measurements on her 4 by 8 tractor! She said there was a pdf file on livestock page..... am I missing something?I'm inexperienced and just watching a video isn't going to work. Anyone have those dimensions/measurements????? I would ever be so grateful if someone could send those to me. I would name one of my Chickens after you!!!:D

Fred's Fine Fowl
05-20-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm so glad you have a chicken habitat down there in Mexico! Please update us if you can on how your birds are doing and if the tractor was a good idea in your climate?

The "A" frame design was actually developed for people who ranged their birds where goats and sheep were occupying the same ground. The "A-frame" prevented them from jumping on top of the chicken confinement system... I have to admit that I don't personally like the design (very popular in England) as it tends to be very hot in the upper roosting area and provides very limited space for the birds. The angled sides, normally covered in chicken wire, also encroach on the birds "headroom". I think hey are indeed easy to construct and manage/move. But from a chicken's perspective, they provide little shade and tight quarters... I'm so glad you were able to utilize recycled materials and do it inexpensively.

Please CLICK HERE (http://www.fredsfinefowl.com/portablechickencoop.html) to view other samples of portable coop structures... it's fun to come up with ways to accommodate the birds needs, while having some practical portability as well... a happy medium for both birds and tenders.

Happy Friday!
Fred

Fred's Fine Fowl
05-20-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm so glad you have a chicken habitat down there in Mexico! Please update us if you can on how your birds are doing and if the tractor was a good idea in your climate?

The "A" frame design was actually developed for people who ranged their birds where goats and sheep were occupying the same ground. The "A-frame" prevented them from jumping on top of the chicken confinement system... I have to admit that I don't personally like the design (very popular in England) as it tends to be very hot in the upper roosting area and provides very limited space for the birds. The angled sides, normally covered in chicken wire, also encroach on the birds "headroom". I think hey are indeed easy to construct and manage/move. But from a chicken's perspective, they provide little shade and tight quarters... I'm so glad you were able to utilize recycled materials and do it inexpensively.

Please CLICK HERE (http://www.fredsfinefowl.com/portablechickencoop.html) to view other samples of portable coop structures... it's fun to come up with ways to accommodate the birds needs, while having some practical portability as well... a happy medium for both birds and tenders.

Happy Friday!
Fred