PDA

View Full Version : commercial compost and persistent herbicides

paul wheaton
08-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Many people think their commercial compost is great because stuff is doing better with it than their stuff did with cement-like dirt. That compost probably has persistent herbicides in it that is stunting plant growth. But the only way to know for sure is to grow a bunch of plants next to same species/variety plants that are grown in compost that definitely doesn't have it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GunQ9mB0ywU

SaraM2261
02-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Good thinking, I also wonder what made the compost - probably cows and what they were fed or what medications they ate...and pooped into my garden. :eek:

gardengirl72
02-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Very true, but there are organic compost makers. I end up making my own so I know what goes into it. I have a huge bin going right now. I can't wait til spring to turn it and see what I have.

Neil Crawford
04-03-2011, 03:01 AM
This is so true of compost makers over here on this side of the pond.....

Also the other problem we have here is poorly manufactured Compost..... Some of it really should never be sold..... But alas most companies are only interested in profit profit profit..... And some of the plant material that goes into it I'm sure should be burned due to the various plant infections that they carry....

In town we have the Community rubbish recycling/landfill collection facility and some of the garden stuff that goes in to the skips for compost making is scary....

As I take the line that you get out what you put in.....

If I have to buy in compost it is only certified Organic which now is no more expensive that standard non Organic compost.... And I make a lot of my own.....

Best Regards from this side of the pond

Neil

Sinfonian
04-10-2011, 03:11 AM
Interesting point. I know I only give our county yard waste composters what I won't compost myself, but I know our local company has ways of handling things I can't. When I needed to fill my beds the first time I used their compost to do it, but now I use my own to augment. Like's been said above, I know what's in it and trust it. I know for a fact it works VERY well!