PDA

View Full Version : Lots of vines, not much fruit - what's missing?

MoniDew
08-22-2010, 01:31 PM
This is my second year in a raised bed system - starting with exceptionally poor soil, that I've been augmenting with compost as I can.

My tomato, pepper, green beans (viners, not bush), and squash vines are extremely long, but not bearing much in the way of fruit (and I'm still having some issues with squash borers - lost a lot of vines to that!)

I've gleaned about 3-4 edible tomatoes out of 6 vines - all summer.

I've gotten one tiny measly pepper from each pepper plant - yes I know to pick it early because it will bear only one fruit per season if it thinks it can get away with it. So far, about one each has replaced it - and nothing of edible size yet.

A few green beans off the viners - the bush did better but have fallen off now.

And, no squash yet - barely surviving, those vines.

I must be missing something - any ideas? anyone?

SaraM2261
02-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Hey there,
I had a similar problem with my zucchini last season.
I had lots of thriving green leaves and vines, and no new flowers. The flowers I got were also all male. Until I finally got some organic fertilizer (a liquid mixture I think by miracle grow which is organic and looks to be a mixture of organic decom stuff, but balanced to whatever ratio it was.) It worked great. Too bad my growing season had come to an end and all I got was 2 zucchinis from it!

I plan to use that same fertilizer weekly this coming 2011 season. Everything just LOVED it so much!

plantoneonme
04-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Sounds like too much nitrogen. You will get lots of vines and leaves and little fruit. You may actually have too much fertilizer. Kim

MoniDew
04-22-2011, 10:42 PM
I don't use fertilizer, only compost. What do you suggest I use to bring up the other levels? I suspect the nitrogen is naturally occurring since I don't add anything (other than compost during the winter.)