PDA

View Full Version : First Molt

Kanthaka
09-08-2010, 08:17 PM
My hens are starting their first molt. As usual, a lot of information on the web is contradictory. I have a few questions.
How long does an average molt last? Some of the websites suggest supplementing a hen's diet during their molt because they need more nutrients and protein. Is that really necessary? When do they start laying again? Last year they layed all through Winter but is that unlikely now that they will have gone through a molt? And because they are a year older too.
Any other special needs or concerns while molting?
Thanks for being patient with the many questions!
Karen from the Erie, PA Poultry Underground

Fred's Fine Fowl
09-09-2010, 03:11 PM
There is a wide spectrum of potentials in this area, as many chickens do this differently...

When chickens, particularly hens, shed their feathers so that new ones may come in, the rest of their reproductive system just takes a break... why? Because they do need protein in order to replace the loss and they have more difficulty retaining body warmth also.

Some hens do it in such a way that you really can't tell, save that their flights fall off (most conspicuous) and then you begin to notice the waxy coating on the new feathers as they come in. Looks like the little plastic retainer at the end of shoe laces :}

Other hens seem to dump their feathers all at once and right before an important show!!! ("> for those who show their birds, this is a huge stresser...

At times, a molt may come on when there is a lack of food... some fancy fowl owners do this intentionally to "force" a molt so the feathers will be prime at the correct time of year. I personally don't like that practice, but you can't dictate the behavior of others.

A hen in molt may be off lay for 12 weeks or more while she recovers and then will return to whatever her normal cycle was. Young birds tend to drop off in their laying coincident to the molt around 18 months of age. For the hybrid laying flock owner (large scale) this is when the stock is rotated out... normally to chicken nuggets or something similar. New birds are rotated in at "point of lay" which is normally a five month old bird.

After the molt, you may expect fewer eggs on average, but should be a tad larger than before.

You can indeed boost their protein to a 21 percent ration during the worst part of the molt. Calcium should be boosted with oyster shell... as the 21 percent feeds generally lack adequate calcium for an adult bird potentially in lay.

I have hens that never stop laying, even during molt and on the other end of the spectrum, have had hens molt and never lay again (those are around 5-6 years old already) so they just mope around looking beautiful ('Y')

So... to answer your question my friend... there is no single answer.

I hope you have posted your egg ribbon where your hens can see it and will have something to strive for next year!

As always,
Fred
www.FredsFineFowl.com