PDA

View Full Version : What worked in your garden this year

gardengirl72
10-04-2010, 04:29 PM
I grew a lot of new things in the garden this year. Here's a plant that worked for me.

Edamame: I love this plant in the garden and will grow it every year from now on. I got about a pound of soybeans per plant and I started it late. Its a great plant to try in raised beds and I'm going to add it to my asian garden next spring.

Please let me know what worked well in your garden this year.

MoniDew
10-08-2010, 07:24 PM
at the moment, I have green beans (viners) coming out of my ears!! I am picking enough to eat a bunch daily. This is by far the best crop of anything I've ever had.

I really hope I can get to a point where I have MORE than enough for a single day of each thing I plant. I want to expand my canning skills! (Oh, Dana!!! AKA: Garden Green)

gardengirl72
10-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Last year was an awful year for tomatoes, but this year my black cherry tomatoes did really well and my Cherokee purple's were the real deal. I also grew Half Moo China tomatoes and they were quite prolific yellow slicing tomatoes. My Arugula thrived and this year I grew heirloom cotton. It was beautiful. I have about 10 or so cotton boles per plant, but they haven't opened yet. We had our first frost last night and I don't know if the plants will mature any further.

MoniDew
10-15-2010, 10:33 AM
oh gosh! frost comes early in Boston! I imagine everything slows down after that.

However, a few crops are supposed to do better with a little frost - brussels sprouts, broccoli, etc. So, hopefully those will be in abundance until thanksgiving for you.