PDA

View Full Version : Question for Fred: Perch for CornishX?

PJJ
10-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Hello Fred,

I read somewhere that the CornishX shouldn't have perches. Is this true?

Thanks,

Penny

Fred's Fine Fowl
10-01-2008, 07:29 PM
This is an issue with any large or very heavy chicken...

The Cornish are heavy/stout birds, with relatively small wings.

They love to perch... however, two concerns come to mind right away, with any heavy breed.

While sitting on the perch, some of the heavier stock, sit hard against the wood rail and this causes irritation and even bruising on their breast bone, possibly resulting in infection.

The second and more common problem is not in the perching, but in the leaping/jumping to the ground. People with heavy birds can hear them thumping to the coop floor as they leave their perches in the morning.

This is why it's so important to have lots of shavings on the floor to soften this landing. I have an average of 6" of pine shavings down for this reason.

So, when a cornish chicken lands hard, the feet are often injured and they swell, commonly called "bumble foot"... it can result in lameness and infection also. Limping is a common first indication.

This, I believe, is the reason you may have heard they don't like perches... they like them, there are just hazards when weight out does flight capabilities.

Hope this answers your question?

PJJ
10-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Fred,

Thank you for the information. It has been very helpful. Our chickens are in tractors modified from Patti's design. They will be either on the ground or in a raised bed. I don't want to do anything to cause the chickens to injure themselves. Would perches very low in the tractor be better or should we just not give them one?

Either way is fine with me. I just want them to be healthy and happy.

Thanks again,

Penny

gardengirl72
10-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Cornish X are nast birds. They are bred not to move or scratch or anything. In my system they have to be rotated on beds at least once a week.

PJJ
10-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Patti,

Thank you for that information. I know they sure are messier than the other chickens we have.

What do you feed your CornishX? Ours just aren't growing like everyone told me they would. I've been feeding them starter and they have fresh grass. Today we started giving them our veggie scraps. I was putting all of it in the compost but I think they need it.

Thanks!!

Penny

Fred's Fine Fowl
10-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Hi Penny,

So, your Cornish Rocks are not gaining as you expected? Maybe you would like to share, aside from the feed you are using, exactly which Cornish you have?

I ask, because the true Cornish, as in for exhibition, is not the same bird you would select for meat purposes? They are indeed meaty, but not the fast weight gain cross that most use strictly for meat production?

What color are they?

The fast weight gain meat chickens... would be white.

You should have a cross between the White Cornish and the White Plymouth Rock.

And Patti.. we don't say "nasty" in the chicken business.. we say "unkempt" or "not tidy" :) Though they are indeed "dirty birds".... teasing you!

I've have people purchase the meat "crosses" thinking they could start their breeding block and that's a mistake. For a breeding flock, you need the original breeds to "cross"... White Cornish hens (my recommendation only) and White Plymouth Rock roosters... The Plymouth Rock Roosters are lighter than the Cornish and more agile at keeping the hens "serviced"... 10 hens per Rooster.

I'm thinking most on this forum will be simply buying in the chicks, so the white cross is what you are looking for... if they are wheaten in color? You have the pure Cornish and those are not the same.

Hope this information helps? Also, if you are buying commercial feed.. there is a mix called "meat maker"... ask for it at your feed store.

You don't follow the same routine... such as Chick Starter, Grower Finisher, and Layer.... with the meat birds, they have much faster growth phases and you aren't conditioning them for the long-run.

PJJ
10-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Fred,

Thank you for that information. You are very helpful.:)

I bought these chickens at our local farm store. They sold them as CornishX and told me they were strictly meat chickens. They are white.

I don't believe this store has the food you mentioned. I will check. I can go to a feed mill in another town and try there. I know they don't carry organic chicken food.

Learning every day!!

Penny