PDA

View Full Version : Re-intro from Michigan

plantoneonme
01-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Hi all! It has been quite awhile since I have been on the forums. Hopefully some may remember me ;)

I live just outside of Detroit. I was active here until my husband passed away in June of 2009. Then I found out I had rheumatoid arthritis and severe bursitis in my hips. I was also forced into bankruptcy. I was getting pretty overwhelmed with everything life threw at me and started to get really depressed. I kinda let life roll over me until recently. Well! I decided that is not what I wanted and decided to get some companions...in the form of 2 wonderful dogs and a bratty cat and to get back to doing things I enjoyed.

I just put out 2 dozen winter sown containers today in anticipation of a great garden again this summer. I had to reduce my hours at work due to health problems but I can garden on my time constraints and rest when needed....not being forced to work 13 hours straight (RN here and no choice).

I'll be stopping by as often as I can. Kim

gardengirl72
01-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the post, Kim. Glad to have you back. What types of seeds did you use in your winter sown containers? I know that you can sow some perennial plant varieties in the ground in late fall like echinecea that normally re-seed themselves.

plantoneonme
01-29-2011, 12:27 PM
So far I have a large variety of lettuces, cabbage, broccoli, purple sprouting broccoli, kohlrabi, spinach, leeks....these have always done well in the past. I am trying new this year: beets, snap peas, pumpkins and a couple tomatoes.

I much prefer to use milk jugs since they seem to make the perfect little greenhouses. I cut an upside down U shape in the side to act as a door and punch a couple holes in the sides near the bottom to allow for excess water to drain off. Fill to the bottom of the "door" with a good potting soil, sprinkle the seeds on top and mist. LEAVE THE CAP OFF and place them outside.

In the spring they sprout at the perfect time and harden themselves off. When it is time to plant, I cut around the milk jug, pull the plants apart gently and plant.

I have had MUCH more success with all the above vegetables grown this way then those I started indoors under lights.

I still need a few more milk jugs because I want to get some brussel sprouts and some herbs going also.

Kim