PDA

View Full Version : PROTECT your garden, chickens, bees and other livestock...

Fred's Fine Fowl
02-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Hi everyone... spring is coming soon... trust me, it is!

Here at Fred's Fine Fowl, spring is a time when critters of all sorts will be headed out searching for a quick meal.

Black bears in our area are likely to hit honey bee hives (Apiaries) for baby bee brood and honey stores...

Chickens and other poultry can become snacks for any of a number of night time prowlers.

Your garden can be raided by raccoons, bunnies and other critters that think you planted everything for them.

There is a technology on the market that is completely solar powered so you can place it near and far without wires. It is a self contained self charging flashing red led light called Solar Nite Eyes...

I have had solar powered flashing light units on my property since 2006 and the results have been fantastic.

The tiny red lights flash intermittently and are visible from a long ways off... by placing them roughly at eye level to your target predator, the red flashing lights alert the night stalker that "something" else is out there with them and they scitter, hop, bound or lumber away from "whatever" those flashing lights are...

I have them also high on poles to discourage owls and have placed them on portable chicken tractors (one on each side).

There is a new version of this flashing light predator protection on the street and it has two flashing lights... I'm told that's because "animals have two eyes"... thus adding to the distress a night stalker may sense when they see flashing lights where they shouldn't be.

The company is convinced that you will be pleased and that the units will work so well that they offer a 60 day money back guarantee...

I asked specifically about keeping bears from bee hives and I was told they have proven to be effective against bears. Then it occurred to me that gardens could also be protected in the same way...

If you are protecting something from night flying predators such as owls, then they would be placed high up... if deterring bunnies or raccoons, then at eye level to where they tread... you can read complete instructions on their website...

CLICK HERE (http://www.fredsfinefowl.com/predatorprotectionsolar.html) to visit the web page and read for yourself... if you have used them, please won't you post here regarding how they did or did not work out for you?

I'm a fan.... and by the way, I do not make any money for promoting them :}

Spring is coming, let's be prepared!

TTFN,
Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com
www.SolarNiteEyes.com

Fred's Fine Fowl
02-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Hi again everyone...

So here I am posting a reply to my own post...

I spent a good deal of time yesterday writing a detailed review of the flashing light protection benefits...

If you have problems with night raiders in your garden or threatening your live stock that can't defend themselves... PLEASE CLICK HERE (http://www.epinions.com/review/Solar_Nite_Eyes_epi/content_540724596356) to read my recent review.

Some people reading Patti's forum may be in cities or other populated areas where rats and mice may raid your pet and livestock food storage areas? Nothing worse than having a hole in your feed bag accompanied by another hole going into the wall or floor of your garden shed.

I always recommend that people keep chicken feed inside metal trash can style containers and leave nothing for unwanted visitors. But my real question today is, how are people coping with rats and mice if they have them? I know they can also raid your vegetable garden... Rats can take your eggs and will kill young chicks or poults, taking them down into their den/burrow/nest... so, what really "is" eating your eggs?

There is currently no data on IF these flashing lights would deter a rat or mouse bent on going Vegan at your expense. If anyone finds they have that problem in the coming growing season, it would be cool to know if those critters avoid flashing light technology. Ever pick a tomato only to see someone or some THING had decided to be your unofficial taste tester?!

You could set the units (solar powered) on a window sill to charge during the day and when you close up, put them right on the floor and see if you are still raided?

So, it doesn't kill them, but may send them elsewhere... what do you think?

Thanks for your opinions and for sharing your experiences...

As always,
Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com
finding ways to deter predators and free loaders without chemicals, electricity or gun-play...

Kanthaka
02-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Excellent posts and thanks especially for the addendum for us city dwellers. My particular problem is hawks and I have been lucky to keep my hens safe by taking your advice to keep their food and water in their coop so they're not vulnerable while eating and drinking. I also (thanks to your suggestion) have patches of adequate ground covering bushes for them to run into when the hawks make their dives.
So far no rodent problems but that may be because I have cats!
As always, Fred, many thanks for the timely and pertinent advice!
Karen from the Erie, PA Poultry Underground

Fred's Fine Fowl
02-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Always a pleasure Karen...

Glad to know your birds are safe and sound in the City!

Sinfonian
02-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Wow, $20 each seems very reasonable. They seem different and cheaper than what I recall you using peviously. Anyway, if I didn't need so many of them, I'd pick it up. Some day I may very well do so when I have money again. Thanks!

Fred's Fine Fowl
02-20-2011, 09:09 AM
The blinking lite system I used before was anywhere from $24.00 to $29.00 depending on where you bought them, they had one hole for attaching and one centered light that blinked...

These new units are more adaptable in my opinion, as they have two mounting holes so I can use bungie cords to attach them to fence posts and trees... I also like the magnets inside them as I now have then also on iron T-Posts (we just had huge wind storms and they didn't budge) and they attach to outside metal doors or galvanized hinges on hen doors.

Plus they have two blinking lights instead of one and with an identical warranty at a lower price... it was an easy decision for me this year. Cheaper, better, more adaptable... I have four of them outside at the moment so I can test them out and then I'll be buying in a bunch more before the deer come out to munch on my tree buds (';')

So far, they perform very well and I charged some under my desk lamp while I worked on my PC.

I hope things work out so you can buy a couple... even one is better than none :}

Wishing you all well,

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

the Predator Protection Solar Powered lights are available at:
www.SolarNiteEyes.com Tell them Fred sent you, so they can go "who?"(';')