PDA

View Full Version : Hens Eating Eggs!

Kanthaka
02-16-2011, 11:07 PM
After a long hiatus (moulting then Winter) my hens have finally begun laying again. Problem is they seem to be eating their eggs! I have heard that this a bad habit. They have never done this before. Could it be some sort of nutritional deficiency? Calcium perhaps? I had been mixing scratch with their layer feed on these cold winter nights.
Been waiting a long time for fresh eggs. The store bought ones just don't cut it. Is there anything I can do?
Karen from the Erie, PA Poultry Underground

Fred's Fine Fowl
02-18-2011, 09:22 AM
This is probably a timely post... often people who keep chickens "think" their hens have stopped laying. Only to discover they have indeed been laying and then seeing other flock members walking around literally with "egg on their face"!

Easier to prevent than to stop once it is indeed occurring.

These are my tips:

Nest box placement is very important. Place nest boxes in the absolute darkest part of the coop, barn or structure in which your birds lay their eggs.

Height of the nest box should be above hen eye level (out of site out of mind).

If you cannot place your boxes where light doesn't shine in and illuminate those very interesting looking eggs (bored chickens peck at things), then darken the nest box yourself.

Darken nest boxes with dark hanging fabric that has been cut in vertical strips (old jeans are great for this).... make sure the strips are long enough to hang well down to the bottom of the nest box opening but not long enough that the hen when entering would push the fabric inside and sit on it. This darkens the nest box and gives the hen privacy while laying.

If you don't like the fabric idea, then black plastic trash bags can be also attached to the front of the nest box and vertical strips cut into them, allowing air movement and entry. I'm a fan of cloth, as it is cooler in summer and breaths a little.

IF you already have an eater that just won't quit... diet can help... maybe the eggs are thin shelled? Calcium in the form of oyster shell is top on the list. Keep a container of oyster shell available in the feeding area at all times. "do not feed oyster shell to young chickens that are not in lay yet"
Feel full layer rations... not scratch or cracked corn, as this will result in a poor diet during periods when birds do not have access to the outside. Make certain the bag of feed states "Complete Ration" on the tag or you will have to add supplements as recommended by the feed manufacturer.

The LOADED egg... I have "cured" many a hen from eating eggs in this way (had a hen which would lay an egg, turn around and peck a hole in it before leaving the nest box)... nip out a 1/4 inch hole in an actual egg, blow or shake out the contents... replace contents with RED grease... this is the kind of grease you put in a grease gun, John Deere grease is RED... Now you may think... FRED! Grease if bad for chickens!!! Yes, it is indeed... but they don't eat it. One peck into that grease filled egg and one unhappy hen becomes a cured egg eater! Only the most dim witted of the hens will take two tastes before deciding "hey, this restaurant has changed it's recipe!" How do I know? I have actually watched them through the coop window.

Some people also toss in ping pong balls which frustrate hens that try to peck them with no reward. See, the concept is to offer no reward for pecking into an egg.

Winter is a tough time in this category, as the chickens are a little bored in the coop and simply wander around looking for things to peck at. Consider hanging chains in the coop and hanging different edible delectables from the chains to give the birds something to do... can even be something as simple as hay.

I hope this answers some of your questions and keeps your eggs in tact until you collect them. And collect often, don't leave the eggs out there too long.

Wishing you all well!

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

Kanthaka
02-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Yay! Fully intact, uneaten eggs again! Thank you , Fred!

Fred's Fine Fowl
02-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Visualize me sitting in the midst of a snowy field as the first light of the sun makes the landscape sparkle like tiny diamonds....

Breath in the steam rising from my fresh cappuccino un impeded by the still morning air...

Ahhhh... tis a happy egg that is not consumed by it's originator (">(">(">

I take a triumphant sip of rainforest conservation coffee, in quiet celebration of your achievement...

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com