PDA

View Full Version : Just about decided...lots of questions

plantoneonme
03-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I have been thinking about a couple chickens for over a year now and I think I have decided. I am looking at either white leghorns or rhode island reds. I have a source to get RIR pullets and could pick them up this weekend but I have read the leghorns are better producers vs feed ratio. I don't really need dual purpose birds because I just want 2-3 hens for eggs. Any idea which would be the better choice?

Pullets or chicks either way fine?

Is a chicken tractor 2'x8' ok or would 4'x4' be better? I only have a few raised beds and would like to move them around more and a 4'x8' would take an entire bed.

Can chicken manure be harmful to new puppies? My papillon girl is pregnant (I think) and I will possibly move a tractor around the yard where the dogs/puppies play and do their business.

Lots of ??? but necessary to make my final decision. Kim

Fred's Fine Fowl
03-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Okey dokey...

The leghorns will lay white eggs for you, while the Rhode Island Reds will lay brown to tan...

The leghorns will have long lopped over combs on their heads which are more inclined to suffer frost bite, while the Reds will have erect combs that are much smaller...

Leghorns are more nervous than are the Reds.

Feed really isn't a concern when you have only a few birds, so the ol' feed to egg ratio isn't really an issue for you.... now, with a thousand layers, it is an issue...

Size of the tractor? Well, personally I'd want it to marry fully to the surface of the raised bed frame... prevents intruders this way a little better.

Chicken poo and puppy dogs...

IF chicken poo can hurt or make your dog(s) ill, then my dogs would have been long since dead or sick many years ago :) Chicken droppings are nor harmful to your dogs in the field or on the lawn. They are perfectly find sharing the same ground.

I hope this answers some of your chicken questions... have more? Ask away...

Wishing you well,

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

plantoneonme
03-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks Fred,

Seems I cannot get the leghorns anyway they didn't come in. My choices are now the RIR, ISA brown, buff orpington or aracauna. I like the idea of colored eggs but wondered if it is worth getting less eggs. I guess I am more interested in chickens that are not too large as my tiny flock will be in a city that has laws against chickens. I would also like some that are more friendly so they will be "pets" if anyone asks.

Eventually I plan on selling a small amount of produce and eggs at the local farmers market and will then tell the city to check out Michigan's right to farm laws. I have been reading carefully and it states that if you have the "intention" to sell that you can have ANY size farm, there is no size limits (or in my case lack of size limits).

But for now pets and eggs for me. So what is my best choice here? I think I am going with pullets since they are sexed. Unfortunately there is a six chick minimum and I only want 3. Looks like I will need to find homes for the remainders. Kim