PDA

View Full Version : Coop and Goat Barn off-the-grid with Solar Power!

Fred's Fine Fowl
03-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi everyone... now that spring is rolling in (even though the weather doesn't show it) many like myself are starting construction projects and changing things up a bit.

One of the problems with out-buildings like coops and small animal barns/sheds, is getting power all the way out there!

Mostly, it's just about getting light and an outlet or two for small demand bulbs or even that heat lamp for baby chicks or goats and so on. Also, those heater bases during winter are a huge plus, but of course, require electricity to function.

My solution is solar power "small scale"... Please CLICK HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9RVCkBqub8&feature=channel_video_title) to see a small demonstration I put together for those who are not comfortable or familiar with how solar works.

This spring we will be starting off with Myotonic Goats... these are the little rascals that appear to faint when surprised or startled and are very easy to manage. The out building I have for them is not wired, so will be my test project for going solar.

My entire house is on a waiting list for solar power and will be installed sometime in 2012 making us more self reliant from then on. It only takes one big power outage for people to appreciate truly, how dependent we have become on electricity provided from somewhere else.

This is just my teaser, as I will be posting more on how I use solar power here in the near future. The unit I demonstrate in the video is a 10 watt panel, I have already up graded by adding a 12 watt panel and have ordered the 50 watt kit. With this small scale system, I can charge deep cycle batteries with solar and use the power when I need it later on.

I know I know... solar power is expensive to purchase and install (if you hire someone else to do it)... but as fuel prices climb and demand increases, solar is going to look better and better. Also, it's renewable energy and is pretty darn "green" when compared to the alternatives. I already have battery powered incubators, so don't have to worry about that when a storm hits, but solar will give me the ability to operate and recharge so long as the sun shines :)

Happy Spring everyone!

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com