PDA

View Full Version : Chicken nipples and more

plantoneonme
03-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Did I get your attention :)

On another forum I am on I saw much discussion about chicken nipples. Basically they are small devices that allowed me to make a simple, space saving, no need to clean 4-5 times a day, chicken waterer. I purchased the nipples at Meyer (you can see pictures there) for under $18 with shipping for 6 (plenty for my flock of 6).

I took one nipple and drilled a hole through the cap of a soda bottle and pushed the nipple through. I then filled the bottle with water and hung it up just above the chicks heads. Within minutes the curious chicks began to peck at the nipple and begin to drink water. When the chicks are old enough to go outside to a tractor, I will take a length of pvc pipe, drill a few holes and connect it to a 5 gallon bucket. This will allow me to fill the waterer much less often...and it saves a lot of floor space.

The second item I made was a super simple chick feeder. Again I wanted to use less floor space in my 50 gal brooder and not allow the chicks to kick feed all over the place. This one is small as a 6 flock, fully grown chicken feeder goes, but will be used to hold grit or oyster shell later. I didn't need any tools for this one!

I purchased a 2 ft length of 2" pvc pipe, a cap, a 45 degree angle, and a 90 degree spicket angle (narrower at one end to allow me to push the pieces together instead of cutting a spacer and glueing together). I simply attached the 45 to the 90 to the pipe and filled with feed, top with the cap. I then duct taped it to the side of the brooder box. Cost about $6.

When the chickens are grown, I will do something similar but use a Y junction fitting and 4" pipe which will hold a lot more feed. I'm going to make it long enough to fit through the top of the tractor for easier feeding (besides it will hold more).

Hope you liked learning about chicken nipples ;) Kim

AbbeyLehman
03-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Do you have pictures for these??? I would love ideas to make the cleaning/tending easier day-to-day. DH & I want to take DS to Washington, DC, for a homeschool field trip but we need a way to make it SUPER simple for someone else to care for the cluckers.

:)

plantoneonme
03-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Sorry but my computer is on its last leg and I cannot upload pictures. I will put on a couple links which may help explain some. These can be found at any home improvement store...

For the feeder for full size birds, take either a Wye or double Wye in 4" or 6" diameter (see pictures at this link)
http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-Wyes

Get a clean out that you can push into the bottom of the Wye. I think a clean out will be really useful if the seed gets wet since it will collect some in the bottom. (see this link)
http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi

Now put a piece of 4 or 6" (which ever size you are using) into the top of the Wye...this is the feed tube. Fill the tube with feed and put on a cap to keep out the rain. That's it!

For the waterer check out this link but also do some more searches at BYC. I would but as I said this computer is extremely slow and it has taken me 7 minutes just to get you this information :) This one is very detailed...
http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=53426-fang-dangled-automatic-waterer

You can also make a much simpler version by putting the nipples directly into the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and hanging from a chain.

HTH, Kim

plantoneonme
04-18-2011, 10:47 PM
I just wanted to update on the chicken nipples...these things are wonderful! The chicks learned to drink from them almost immediately. I no longer have to clean out the water containers constantly :D