PDA

View Full Version : Potato Questions

SaraM2261
04-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Hi everyone, I have a few potato questions for you.

My family and I eat a lot of sweet potatoes (as well as reds and yukons, but mostly sweet). I want a place to grow them, and have heard many suggestions and creative ideas for this.

I don't have a bed I can use for them. I would like something that I can shut down and move over the winter due to space issues etc... I have heard 10 gallon buckets, I have heard stacking tires... I have also heard that potatoes are pesty so they need a new spot each year???

thank you in advance for any helpful info you have!:confused:

Sinfonian
04-10-2011, 03:08 AM
http://sinfonians-garden.blogspot.com/p/2-build-as-you-grow-potato-bins.html

Not sure what your question is, but this is how I do it. I break down the bins and compost the soil every fall when I harvest. Easy as pie.

Good luck! Oh, and I don't think you grow sweet potatoes this way. Not sure, don't grow them myself.

SaraM2261
04-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Thank you so much for your potato article and pictures!!! I really enjoyed reading all of it, every last sentence! At the end you reference your 2009 blog posts about potatoes and say that you got some very different results that next March using the sprouted potatoes that you couldn't eat.

I tried to look for that post too, but couldn't find it. If you have a link handy I would love to read what things you did differently and how it worked out the next year.

Thanks again!
-Sara

Sinfonian
04-16-2011, 01:46 AM
I've actually given up growing potatoes as we eat very few of them in my family these days. I used to eat tons so it would have been worth it, but I'm the only one who eats them, so we eat about 2 potatoes a month. I grab a few from my folks when we're out now.

What I suggest in my post is what I would do if I grew them, and countless others do. That's why I leave the post there. It's good info. Just choose late season varieties and be dilligent hilling them or stop like I did my last year. I got potatoes up to where I stopped. GL!