PDA

View Full Version : Got A New Greenhouse!

SaraM2261
05-19-2011, 10:25 AM
HI!
I wanted to share with everyone that I got a new greenhouse!!!! It's pretty small - I wanted it to be portable and not cost me an arm and a leg! I am so happy with it. Here it is:
http://sarasgardenmarket.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/greenhouseside.jpg

It is in the South East corner of my yard right now - but I will be moving it up to my deck for the winter. That way it will be closer to an entrance (as I will have to shovel to it) and also a power supply (for heat, fans and possibly light.)

Does anyone else use a greenhouse in Minnesota? I am wondering how much light if nay I will need over the winter. My outdoor hoop houses didn't need any. I am just thinking of getting some high pressure sodium lights for my tomatoes. Ever used those??? My tomatoes that I start indoors seem to take forever to fruit. I have heard the high pressure sodium lights can get them to blossom indoors.

gardengirl72
05-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks so cool. Thanks so much for sharing it. What do you have in there so far?

SaraM2261
05-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks!!!! (It's so cool that you reply to the posts here!!!!)

So far not much. My tomatoes - I have 8 different varieties of heirloom, 3 determinate and 5 non-determinate. I have bell and jalapeno peppers, and some herbs. I got behind and didn't start my tomatoes on time so I am probably going to pick some more plants up either from neighbors or the farmer's market. But mine will probably still be producing so I can pot them back up and put them in the greenhouse in the fall.

I am also trying my hand at propagating some geraniums. I got this fantastic bright red last year and I managed to keep 2 alive over the winter. If I can do it (and many people say it's super easy) I may never buy geraniums again! :)

Next season I am starting everything super early. Now that I have the space I can start in January and will have a garden full of plants ready to produce at the start of the season!! I am so excited about my greenhouse and all the possibilities.