PDA

View Full Version : Banana Butter

Garden Green
10-11-2008, 06:09 PM
I kinda posted the Apple Butter in the wrong place, but no more! Patti, since you've got your new banana tree's maybe you can try this when you get to harvest some bananas.

Banana Butter

1 cup mashed banana
1 cup canned crushed pineapple in juice
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped maraschino cherries
3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 ounces liquid pectin

Directions

1 Measure first 5 ingredients into large saucepan. Heat and stir constantly as you bring to a rolling boil. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat.

2 Stir in pectin. Stir and skim for 5 minutes so fruit won't float. Pour into hot sterilized half pint jars to within 1/4 inch of top. Place sterilized metal lids on jars and screw metal bands on securely. For added assurance against spillage, you may choose to process for 5 minutes in a boiling water bath.

plantoneonme
10-12-2008, 08:19 AM
This sounds very good! Do you just use on toast? Since bananas are very expensive in our area I don't buy them very often unless I get ones that are really ripe which sell for around .30 a pound. I use them to make banana smoothies but will try some of this next time.

Garden Green
10-12-2008, 11:40 AM
You can put it on toast or buscuits, pancakes... I like putting this kind of stuff between cake layers to add kick. It's a nice surprise for a vanilla icing covered cake or the whipped cream, crushed pineapple icing (hmm, I'll post that recipe later).

GG