PDA

View Full Version : picture afghans

groundhogpeggy
10-15-2008, 10:04 AM
I've messed around with knitting and crocheting for a few years now. I've knitted mittens, dishcoths, doggie sweaters, one goat sweater, people sweaters, 5 socks (still looking for that unique person with 5 feet), etc. I'd learned knitting from someone I worked with a few years ago... she learned as a very young child in Hungary, just before being captured and spending the rest of her childhood in Auschwitz. Fortunately, she surived that experience, and grew up to be a really great knitter. I never got anywhere near as good as she was.

I taught myself to crochet out of a book, after I'd gotten the idea of knitting down. The thing I liked about crochet was that it seemed easier to get 3D type shapes down, like Teddy Bears and stuff like that... so I made two or three of those, but suffered quite a bit through them, not thoroughly knowing what I was doing.

Anyway, with being so busy all the time and everything, I eventually settled down into making only afghans with the crochet... I saw photos of picture afghans on the net here and there... borrowed some ideas from others and then came up with my own ideas too to finally come up with a method of making reversible afghans with a picture from a graph... I like doing those quite a bit. Lately I've been thinking about making afghans from knitting... knitting the squares from Melissa's Garden Dishcloths, which have images of little critters and such on them, and then crocheting those squares together as an afghan. This is a good project, because if you have a set of short needles, you can just easily carry this one around with you, working on only the one square at a time.

Anyway, just wondering if others are doing anything like afghans, picture afghans, etc.?

I'll have more time to spend on these things in the coming weeks, so I might find the temptation to venture back out into other knit/crochet projects too much to leave alone.

Kittikity
12-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Picture afghans? Those would be so neat to do! I wish I had somebody here to teach me things like that.. I'm stuck learning on my own so I can sympathize with you there..