PDA

View Full Version : Angora bunnies

crazy4yarnpamm
09-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi, If you have not seen Patti's video on trimming your angora, you don't know what your missing. I have two english angoras and one french angora with the hopes that I will be adding a couple of german angoras in a month or two if the breeding took. Patti, I can't thank you enough for all your information on trimming and on carding the wool. I am really excited about my new adventures with my angora girls they are such wonderful loving bunnies. Thanks again for sharing your wealth of knowledge and inspiring this city girl do get even more out of my small garden area.
Hugs
Pamm

gardengirl72
09-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks Pamm, post us some bunny Pics! Or maybe some pics of your fiber art!

Thanks,

Patti

Kittikity
09-03-2008, 09:25 PM
I wanted some giant angoras to sell the fiber and also continue to exercise my grooming skills.. Unfortunately its just too warm here in Florida and I'd have to build a special facility just for them.. I don't think I could make enough from them to warrant that..

I agree.. Must have pictures!

gardengirl72
09-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Probably not worth its own building, but great for your own projects. Angora just adds so much to a knitted item. It is worth having a couple if you are series about your fiber.

Ani
09-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Okay I have some questions.

How much space do they really need? And do they smell if they need to be brought inside for the winter? How many pounds of fiber do you get per bunny?

If I can't have a goat on the fire escape, perhaps I can find room for some bunnies.

gardengirl72
09-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Now in theory a bunny can be litter box trained. I tried and failed. There is a lot on the web about it. Remember I failed at this. But if you could litter box train one, they are great apartment pets. They don't make any noise and their food is grass. They will chew on stuff. I don't think I would keep them in a cage though. They like to have some space.

In terms of fiber you could get 2 to 4 pounds a year of a bunny. Which if you mixed it with some alpaca or merino some one of kind, super special finished objects.

I will check on line again about litter training rabbits and see what I find.

Ani
09-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Oh! I forgot all about litter training a bunny. My cousin actually had a dwarf lop as a pet for years. He was house trained - or at least corner trained, to one area of the house. He was pretty reliable too and they let him all over the house.

2-4 lbs is certainly a decent amount. Oh I can think of all kinds of things to make with that!

AbbeyLehman
09-08-2008, 12:51 AM
Wow, I haven't even begun to dream about growing, carding and using my own wool! Ay, ay, ay! I am enthusiastically working on what I can, though, so I hope to store away some of this new-to-me knowledge for later!!

Aspen
09-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Wow, I haven't even begun to dream about growing, carding and using my own wool! Ay, ay, ay! I am enthusiastically working on what I can, though, so I hope to store away some of this new-to-me knowledge for later!!

I got my two Angora rabbits "free". I spend time on the Backyard Chickens forums--someone there posted that she had two free, rescued Angoras. I was first to respond and my "free" bunny adventure began.

Six hour round trip. I am not sure what that cost. The male had a respiratory infection, trip to the vet for treatment and medications, $96. Trying to figure out how to house them, ended up purchasing a cage (didn't work, it is now my chicken infirmary), then two hutches. I would guess my "free" bunnies have cost me about $300.

That said, I absolutely love them. They make me happy. I haven't harvested any wool yet, but I am looking forward to that and learning to spin.

Then, of course, I will need to buy a spinning wheel....:D

RedStateGreen
09-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Okay I have some questions.

How much space do they really need? And do they smell if they need to be brought inside for the winter? How many pounds of fiber do you get per bunny?

If I can't have a goat on the fire escape, perhaps I can find room for some bunnies.
What I've read says a 2'x3' cage is sufficient; mine are inside in 2'x4' housing :D

Their poop doesn't smell unless they have the runs. If you let the pee build up that is strong and will smell. Rabbits have a smell just like we do but I don't find it objectionable.

If you live where it doesn't get too terribly cold angoras can be outside, their wool is five to eight times warmer than wool. Newborn kits should probably be inside as they are hairless.

How much wool you get depends on the animal and the breed. English and Giant angoras give way more than Satin and French angoras do. Mine are Satin and my buck gives twice what my doe does. It depends on how much of the long hair gene they get, I guess.

I think bunnies are the ideal urban/suburban pet. Everyone loves rabbits. ;)

RedStateGreen
09-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Now in theory a bunny can be litter box trained. I tried and failed.
You're a lot braver than I am ... :D

angorabunlovr
10-08-2008, 07:53 PM
im new and have2 angoras but does any one no where i can get some for less than 50 dollars. thanks a bunch

plantoneonme
10-09-2008, 05:34 AM
im new and have2 angoras but does any one no where i can get some for less than 50 dollars. thanks a bunch

Try contacting your local extension service for 4H projects with rabbits. The kids often have extra bunnies that they cannot use for showing that they are selling. The kids use the money to purchase new bunnies or needed supplies and are happy to know the bunnies are going to a loving home. Also check out small pet animal rescues. They are in the same conditions as the 4H kids and often have smaller adoption fees for those willing to take on more than 1 bunny. Since I was a child, I have always adopted our pets from rescues...everything from guinea pigs to dogs, cats and my daughter's horse.

Kim

angorabunlovr
12-13-2008, 02:22 PM
i have 2 angora rabs. im 13 and i just got into the fiber arts. i live in new england and the weather gets cold. my angoras stay in a room off the garage and are litter boxed trained. patti you are my hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i use the wool to spin and felt. since i found out about growing my own food i had to try it. since im a vegitarian i grow about 25 percent of my food and 75 percent of my rabbits food. id like that number to increase and id love to get chickens but my mom wont allow it. youve really inspired me patti thanks

angorabunlovr
12-13-2008, 02:25 PM
thanks plantoneonme i will try that and hopefully have good results to share.