PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I am Patti the Garden Girl

gardengirl72
08-29-2008, 03:59 PM
I figured I would introduce my self first. I am Patti Moreno the Garden Girl and welcome to the Sustainable Living community. The place to ask me questions and share what you have learned with others. Thank you and welcome.

Patti

thestivs
08-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Hey Patti,

I live in the South End of Boston and really love you ideas for container gardens. I don't have the space to build raised beds but the container gardens fit perfectly in the porch area I have. Everyone loves coming over and eating omlets with fresh parsley I grew. Keep up the good work.

gardengirl72
09-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks Stivs.

Patti

Golem in the Gears
09-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Hello Patti,
Greetings from Tampa Bay FL. Wonderful little spot you got here, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance... Love your video's! I must admit, your little urban homestead is quite Inspiring!

gardengirl72
09-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Golem,

Thank you so much. Another person from Florida. My Dad is in the West Palm Beach area. I get down there a couple times a year as well. Can't wait to here about your spot as well.

Patti

Sinfonian
09-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Just got your email and signed up. The garden is starting to grow for fall/winter now that we got a bit of sun.

You know your incredible, so I won't say it again. Thank you for all you do!

gardengirl72
09-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Yea! Richie, thanks for signing up. Welcome to the message board. Share with the folks your blog and messageboard, I do.

Can't wait to here whassup in Washington.

monica
09-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Hey everyone! I'm from Colorado, where we've been having weird weather that has confronted my garden with obstacles I hadn't anticipated. Everyday the locusts buzz, making an electric sound which my boyfriends Mom told me was a sign that there will be an early winter this year. So better anticipate an early frost and get ready to winterize the garden! It is hard gardening in Colorado, but I do ok.

Marci
09-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi Patti and all of you other gardeners -
My husband and I have gradually converted most of our lawn into productive gardens (veggies, herbs, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and asian pears). Our gardens do well, but every year at about this time we find ourselves saying "The gardens got away from us again." With our jobs and other responsibilities the weeds get ahead and we don't keep up with pruning. By this time of the year, any spare time is devoted to harvesting, freezing and canning. So, our yard is not always pretty, but I sure love feeding my family fresh fruits and veggies we grew in our own yard. It is nice to know there are a lot of you out there doing the same.

Marci

gardengirl72
09-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Hey, everyone. It's september and my garden is definitely wild and woolly. To be honest it gets really messy. And of course today I had the editors from Fine Gardening magazine over! A moment I have envisioned for, I dunno, a decade.

So, this morning I was up at seven (it wasn't a surprise, but I totally procrastinated and was into my sauce canning last weekend), and I was hustling. I used some new tools and got it mostly under control by 11, when they arrived. I actually had it done by 10:50 and a had a chance to wipe the sweat and be presentable. I hopefully will have some interesting developments to report shortly.

But anyway, my September garden is always at it's messiest too.

Cynthia
09-06-2008, 03:37 PM
That is an amusing image, you racing around getting ready for Fine Gardening. I am sure things looked great and hope their visit went well.

gardengirl72
09-06-2008, 09:39 PM
I have been told today by friends and neighbors who helped me that I didn't look as scared and nervous as I felt.

Cynthia
09-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Of course you looked poised, because you are really good at this. I love it when the real part of ourselves shows through even though we are nervous or scared.

Yomolove
09-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Pattie...
we have and are still having fun in the garden.. My husband keeps telling me...Quote: YOU NEED TO SEND Pattie some pics of what you have done.... Quote: I WILL I WILL, and I am.... we have had sooo much food this summer. I have been able to share with neighbors and family. I also found out that i am able to seed in my compost... Yes seed in my compost... that was amazing to me. My neighbors also found out the same thing... they have potatoes growing in their composter... go figure. anywho the cherry tomatoes are so sweet, my cucs didnt fare to well... I forgot I had compost and when the nutrients ran out of the soil needless to say I didnt think quick enough.... But I quickly repaired the eggplant and the peppers....WOW so amazing to see the plants come back to life with compost.

Pattie have I chatted your ears off enough...LOL

See or chat soon

AbbeyLehman
09-08-2008, 02:49 AM
I can't wait to see the spread!! You have to tell us when it'll be published so we can all run out and buy up all the copies for friends & family, saying, "I TALK (ok write) to her ALL the time!! Isn't she SO AWESOME!!" with a huge starstruck look on our faces.

Sorry. I get REAL excited sometimes. I'm really gonna do that, though.

:D

Sinfonian
10-05-2008, 02:19 AM
Patti's even graced my blog with comments before. I can tell you I was starstruck at that for sure!

gardengirl72
10-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Sinfonian, how did you potato beds do?

gardengirl72
10-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Aw shucks guys.....

Sinfonian
10-07-2008, 11:19 AM
My potato bin? What potato bins? Hehe just kidding, seems half the country is interested in my bins. No pressure mind you.

Well, it would have been nice if I had known that yukon golds and other early varieties set fruit once so they're useless in my bins. I got 10 pounds or so from my yuk bin and all were in the bottom 6 inches. Next year I'll plant yellow fin or binjte which are late season varieties.

As for my Butte russett bin, the verdict is still out as it is a late variety and sets fruit like its indeterminate tomato cousin. I hope to harvest it this weekend if the weather cooperates. I and a restless nation are keeping our fingers crossed for a bumper crop! Thanks for asking.

AbbeyLehman
10-11-2008, 04:43 AM
Patti's even graced my blog with comments before. I can tell you I was starstruck at that for sure!

REALLY? That is SO cool!

julisha1
10-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi Pattie, I am new to gardening and really enjoy your Urban Substainable Website. The experience and information you share is inspirational and motivational. Thank you for all the information you share freely!

gardengirl72
10-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks for your support!

MoniDew
10-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Patti, you KNOW you are my inspiration! And I hope to someday live up to that! <3 Moni

SaraM2261
02-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Hi Patty,
You are such an inspiration! Your gardens are gorgeous! I am feeling so adventurous after watching your videos about blueberries and strawberries and your mail-order peach tree! I have quite a bit of space to use, and I just needed some ideas of how to use it. Thank you! PS: I love your porch/indoor garden. Watching you build was the very first thing that lead me to your web site. :) Living in MN I definitely need a fall-spring alternative to satisfy my garden needs. :D
Thanks again, Happy gardening!
-Sara in MN